Monday, November 5, 2007

Joining the Blogosphere

I'm a Blogoholic. I also enjoy strong dark coffee, reading, NPR and cuddling with my children.

A year ago I though blogs were pompous, pretentious drivel posted by college students and Gen-Y employees with too much time on their hands. Then last spring my good friend/fellow Bumble Book Club member Robin handed me a book. Reading
Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster changed my life. I laughed, I howled, I returned Robin's copy after purchasing my own. I also bought Bright Lights Big Ass and laughed and howled some more.

I couldn't get enough of Jen so I Googled her in hopes of coming across another title. Instead I came across Jennsylvania and that's where the trouble started. (While I've yet to meet her in person, I like to believe Jen would enjoy being the catalyst of trouble.)

I bookmarked her site and went to it daily seeking sustenance and belly laughs. Then, after reading her archived blogs from the past two years, I saw that she had links to blogs that
she liked. I began to read those, too.

My dependency grew out of solitude--I'm the last of a dying breed around these parts: A Stay-At-Home-Mom. Well, let me amend that, I'm the last of a few college-educated, stay-at-home-moms-who-had-a-career
and I am over 30. I live out in the country, all my friends are at work all day or live in other states and I get bored with no one to talk to. By reading a list of blogs with my morning cup of coffee, I've drawn encouragement, gossip and a lot of laughs from gals like Poppy, Jen on the Edge, Mommy Needs Coffee and The Cheeky Lotus. My blog habit became my daily coffee clatch--the type I imagine actual housewives having in city parks or across suburban fencelines--the kind where the Moms talk about their friends, neighbors, children, neighbors' children, politics, fashion, movies and books. The warmth and friendliness and honesty I found in these blogs met my picky criteria for friendships (cyber or otherwise) and drew me into their lives and today I hope to begin returning that favor.

So pull up your chair and warm up your cup. I'm finally brave enough to offer my voice to the conversation.

4 comments:

  1. You are the best friend anyone could have and an inspiration to us all. Because YOU do it all. can't wait to read "you" everyday and not just once a year in a Christmas Card

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging is addictive. And the people you meet? Are even more so.

    Congratulations on joining the club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. I can't imagine living without blogs. Actually, I can because I was computer-less for an entire week this past summer while we were on vacation. That meant no blogs for that time and now I think I know what it's like for drug addicts to go into rehab. The DTs were terrible!

    Welcome to the Blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your blog is great! I will come here often.
    I think it's hilarious that you call your boys "the Bachelors"!! :)
    smart AND witty! can't wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.