Monday, November 26, 2007

so tired. so so tired

Perhaps I overdid it yesterday with the 5 loads of laundry, church, book shopping and tree decorating. Maybe it's that this week's to do list has me overwhelmed when I consider going to NYC on Friday coupled with holiday preparations. Most likely it's my recent habit of staying up past eleven to read and my children's recent habit of waking me up to calm them after bad dreams/help them pee and redress. I'm putting my money on this last one since Mr. B joined us at 3 last night and climbed in bed and Mr. G joined us at 4:30. I never went back to sleep after Mr. G added his sweet toddler self to the party. Could be because he coughed and hacked for an hour until I dosed him with some Benedryl. Anyway, I threw in the towel at 5:45 and took a shower.

Mr. B slept until 9:00 this morning and spent the rest of his free time in front of a movie in his pajamas. I admire his ability to kick back and relax. On the other hand, I wrapped all the books I bought yesterday, watered the tree and wrote my very long grocery list (between Not Shopping last week due to travels and leaving the bachelors behind this upcoming weekend, we're looking at 2 shopping carts potentially).

Now I'm counting the hours until the crew returns home and we do homework and head for town for karate lessons and grocery store. Until then I ought to find something productive to do. More productive than reading mamapop and playing Spider Solitaire. You know, like dishes or yoga or needlepoint. (hah!)

Meanwhile, I'll do one useful thing for humanity and share my excellent recipe for the jambalaya I'll be making on Wednesday:

1 T olive oil
1 16-ounce package kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
1 8-ounce box jambalaya rice mix
1 1-pound package peeled and deveined raw shrimp
1/4 t hot pepper sauce

Heat the oil in a saucepan over med. heat. Add kielbasa & cook until browned (about 5 minutes). Add the tomatoes along with 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Add the rice mix. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for the time specified on the package. Add the shrimp, stir and cover for 3-4 minutes more. Add hot pepper sauce and spoon onto plates.

This recipe is fast and very impressive if entertaining--I serve it with the homemade cornbread and a nice salad (see Opiate of the Masses for this recipe).


1 comment:

  1. sounds like the same type of night/morning that I had!
    I finally gave up and slept on the LR couch.
    I'll have to try that Jumbalaya~it sounds delish! :D

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.