Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Taking it on the Road

Great things going in my bag to Iowa today:

* Water for Elephants
* Boots Botanics Fresh Faced Tinted Moisturiser
making me look less red and blotchy, yet not all made up like foundation does.
* Brain, Child Magazine
*
My laptop
* Roasted Red Pepper vegetable dip for the 5 pounds of fresh-cut veg in my cooler
* Pretzels!

Before I pack the minivan for this first of a series of holiday trips I'll pause for a moment to reflect on what I'm thankful for:

1) Asthma is a killing disease, but that shouldn't bother me because breathing? Isn't that important. What's important is staying at my mother-in-law's house (with moldy/dust-mitey/30-year-old carpets, two cats, cigarette smoke and dust from adjacent cornfields and gravel road) so her feelings aren't hurt. I'm thankful for my mother-in-law because she gave me Mr. D. And for oral steroids and my Proventil inhaler.

2) My political views are unwelcome in any conversation among Mr. D's people. I'm thankful we live in a free country where I can have opposing views and keep them repressed and silent.

3) Ditto my religious views. I'm thankful I can believe what I want without fear of persecution as long as I keep my beliefs to myself.

4) Acceptable perimeters of conversation among my in-laws include: raising children, shopping, cooking, housekeeping tips, football scores and holiday decorating. I'm thankful for the diversity we celebrate in America.

5) Since I loathe shopping, particularly at Wal-Mart (Iowa's favorite store), and have little to say about football scores, I need to develop some opinions on the other acceptable topics for conversation. When we stop for gas I'll snag a copy of Good Housekeeping so I can be an informed participant. I'm thankful for Casey's convenience stores and helpful reading material like women's magazines.

6) I'm thankful for my children who always provide me with an escape from long phone calls, awkward social situations and annoying company.

7) I'm thankful for this blog where I rant and the blogs I read because they remind me I'm not alone.

I lift my glass to you, fellow bloggers and non-bloggers who read blogs. Happy Thanksgiving!



4 comments:

  1. May the force be with you. Don't you love that despite the fact that we live in a free country, we spend most of the time keeping our mouth shut? I guess it's all for the sake of peace.

    Have a funnish time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, there was absolutely NO sarcasm anywhere in this post.

    Have a good, safe trip. Try not to kill or maim any in-laws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, my FIL used to smoke like a chimney and whenever we went over there, I'd have to whip out the inhaler. a clue??? HELLO!!!! since then, he has suffered a heart attack and that made him finally quit!
    but my own family (mother and father) have a long haired dog in the house along with 4 of their 8 cats!
    even when my 4 yr old suffers an asthma attack right in front of them, and has even ended up in the ER, they still don't offer to keep the animals outside.
    I've been fighting with them over that subject since he was a baby.
    So clearly, I am not going to win this one!
    OK, I digress.
    Aww, family. gotta love 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, it's good to know I'm not alone in the Allergy Wars!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.