Monday, December 31, 2007

Fuddy-Duddy

Back from the Land o' Corn and THANK GOD. Festivus at the sis/bro-in-law house was fun, the in-law Christmas was fine--there was even a SALAD for the first time in Mr. D's family history--a green salad sitting alongside the corn, potatoes and bread. AND my asthma allergies stayed under control. That said, it's always good to be home. Home where I have to wash 6 loads of laundry, go to the grocery store, force my kids to write thank you notes for their Christmas presents and clean the cat's litter box.

Since Mr. D's family has their Christmas the weekend after real Christmas, we've been south of our border for New Year's Eve several years in a row now. Consequently, we're off everyone's invite list. Which means we'll celebrate New Year's Eve at home. Alone. And since I've been awake since 4:30 this morning with various bachelors (very long story), I don't plan to knock myself out tonight. Some board games, maybe a movie, and early to bed. I'll greet 2008 bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and well-rested. Wouldn't it be nice to greet every day in '08 that way? Here's hoping.

I don't usually make New Year's Resolutions (another long story), but I did sign a contract this month with 3 government agencies agreeing to plant several acres of buffer trees, prairie and grasses on the Back 40 where we've been renting land to the farmer up the road. I have one year to complete the task of killing the alfalfa and planting 1,900 tree seedlings and prairie grasses. One thousand nine hundred trees. One year. The cost share with the 3 government agencies comes to 110 % to reward our efforts to preserve Duck Creek (which I'd have done anyway, but it's nice to have help). If the job isn't done by Dec. 31, 2008, I lose the reimbursement. I'm resolved to get those trees planted. They're ordered and next week: Soil Samples!

Happy New Year, fellow bloggers.

5 comments:

  1. Happy New year to you and your family!! I hope that you plan on having some help with those trees--like a "tree Planter" pulled by a tractor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a wonderful plan for your property. Being an urban girl, I can't quite match that but we have let our city backyard stay as it is, woods, rather than landscape or pull trees. But my big take away from this post is the Thank You cards. We have a blank stack on the dining room table. But I just got done with the half hour of family 'work time' and can't bear the thought of one more complaining session so soon. Later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I planted 10 seedling trees this year - I can't even imagine 1900. What are you planting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. gosh - most of us want to diet or exercise and you've got 1900 trees to plant!

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're planting maples and oaks and birches and pines and spruces--7 species in all. I plan to get help and rent equipment, lest you think I've completely lost it.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.