Wednesday, January 23, 2008

All Domestic Today

Still subzero degrees outside...had a horrid homework meltdown with Mr. T yesterday...I wish he was a less complicated child...Mr. B and Mr. G are watching King Kong Escapes! and eating pretzels...we have to go to the Twin Cities this weekend to visit my family...this will be the first time since my grandma died 4 years ago that my parents and my sisters and I will all be together...being together with all that family makes my stomach all lurchy and weird because there's a huge level of Jerry Springer Crazy going on there...thank God I have plans to meet my good friend Mary (of knitted scarf fame) for coffee Saturday morning of my visit.

With all of this, I long for cozy, warm comfort. So today? Banana Bread! I love this recipe from Mrs. George Anderson of Chisolm, Minnesota (from a cookbook I acquired during one of Mr. D's Field of Dreams Ghost Player Appearances). It uses sour cream which gives the bread an incredible richness and uses up more bananas than the average recipe--and when I have RIPE bananas, I usually have a bunch. (groan)

Fabulous Banana Bread

2 C flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/4 C butter
1 C sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 lg. ripe bananas, mashed
3 T sour cream
1 C chopped pecans or walnuts (optional

Cream butter, add sugar, then egg and bananas. Sift together dry ingredients and add to butter/banana/sugar/egg mixture alternately with sour cream. Add nuts. pour into greased 4X8 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or inserted toothpick comes out dry. Cool on rack. Serve with butter if you're indulgent, plain if you're virtuous.

Double this recipe and give the extra loaf to your favorite neighbor.


Mr. D is subbing in his old archery league tonight so I get total control over the remote. Which means any TV I want to watch. Or don't. Either way, it's my choice and no man will tell me what to do. (political innuendo intended)

And now in the spirit of Mrs. G who is the epitome of blogger generosity, I'd like to draw your attention to a few things:

Kalurah from While they Play has a crochet project for those of you with crafty fingers. I don't crochet, but please, if you do, go to her site.

Hotfessional has a blogging contest--your worst travel experience. Check it out.

Mary Alice provides some nice perspective today at From the Frontlines.

Minnesota Matron
is either inspiring or insane, depending on how you take her. But if you live in chilly climes like we do, you'll appreciate her latest post.

Here's to warm mittens, soft slippers, hot cocoa, steamy sex--whatever keeps you toasty in January.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks buddy. Love all the shout outs I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm trying to lose weight and everyone keeps putting yummy recipes on their blogs....

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.