Saturday, January 19, 2008

Gut Rot

Regrets? I've had a few. A Princess-Diana-style haircut in sixth grade. Working full time through college instead of taking out a low interest loan to pay my tuition. Buying a status SUV in the early 90's and fueling our oil-driven economy.

Add last night to my list.

It was Friday Night-Date Night Wisconsin Style. Involving Jan, the bowling ball and the bowling alley/supper club a couple towns over.

I'd had a long afternoon doing good deeds (visiting a dear homebound friend, taking Team Testosterone to the Children's Museum) , moving laundry around, managing children, and running errands (i.e. trying to track down a store besides Target that carries Huggies Good Nites). The babysitter came at 7:00 sharp and I still hadn't eaten anything since lunch--except for a couple of baby carrots.

So I ordered this when we got to the bowling alley/supper club:

Accompanied by one of these:


A Spotted Cow!

And I ate every last delicious, savory, salty, cheesy, greasy, melty bite of my cheeseburger and fries. Then I washed it all down with another Spotted Cow.

It was the second to last bite that still tasted oh so very good.

So I took the last bite.

That's when I knew.

I had eaten too much.

I spent the night feeling too full, bowling a 408 and wishing the whole time for solitude in my bathroom at home.

I went to bed feeling sick and bloated and had a strange dream involving rotten meat.

Overindulgence is NOT a good thing. I should have respected my body, my self, my stomach's limits. I should have said "No!" to the other 1/4 pound of that wonderful cheeseburger and the 18 extra french fries I stuffed into my face.

Regrets.

9 comments:

  1. Ugh I know that feeling..it's the saltiness that keeps you going until it's TOO LATE. The beer sounded good. Too funny about the rotting meat dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but yum while it's happening, right?

    We've all had those regrets. Mine usually involve the Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a "spotted cow" and a burger once in awhile--don't know what your problem was???!!! Yes, I do, because we did the same last night, but with a Friday night fish fry..."tummy" pills were needed when we got home..known as "Pepcid ac"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Found you via Mary Alice.

    ....if you will go round eating spotty cows of course you will have tummy ache!
    Actually I think it's the red meat - hard to digest...I'd rather have a curry and a pint of cobra!
    DC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewww... I feel sick just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good to me. Seriously, it does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a little full reading about it. But don't feel too badly, I would have done the exact same thing.

    Old fashioned Alka Seltzer is great stuff ya know...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh! The joys of vicariously enjoying food through your blog buddies..LOL

    Going to bossys now to channel bedroom shoes..;p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today it friend mushrooms at B Dubs for me. put me right over the edge.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.