Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Shameful Secrets on Nancy's Birthday

We know money buys favors. By offering me dinner and a movie, several young men I knew when I was a college student received the favor of my company (not sexual, so don't start getting all judgmental and weird on me, people. And even if it was (which is wasn't always), that's none of your damn business!). When I offer money to Mr. B, he helps me clean the house. When Mr. D offers me money, I go get the pizza for dinner in the subzero temperatures while he sits cozy and warm by the fire at home. You get the picture.

Why should the government be any different? If a group has money, they should be able to buy votes from an elected representative, right? What? That's WRONG? Well, yes, I guess this does go against the very premise of our Constitution--you know, the part about fair representation and a government by the people, for the people. Yet the common person can't always know what's going on because our elected representatives have hidden their bribe taking behind bureaucratic red tape.

That's where maplight.org comes in. Check them out--they break down the money, where it goes, who it goes to, who it comes from and which votes on which bills the money has bought. Clickity-click-click and the average citizen can know the dirty secrets of their elected officials. You know, the people WE elect to represent US and OUR INTERESTS. Here's the information people--on one really well-designed and user-friendly website. Now, people, ignorance is no longer an excuse.

That's the shameful secret I've got for you on Nancy's Birthday.

And speaking of Nancy, my dear friend Sarah's mother, the coolest and hippest grandma I've ever met, it's her birthday today. (Go Nancy! Go Nancy! It's your birthday!) Fun facts about Nancy: she buys her grandchildren pizza and ice cream and takes them boating. She helps Sarah paint rooms in her house and spends Christmas Eve in a water park with all of her grandchildren instead of forcing them to sit around politely in her living room on that Great Day of Anticipation. One of my favorite things about Nancy? She reads my blog and tells other people to read it, too. Nancy, I wish you a fabulous cake on your birthday and another year of happiness!




7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips on where to find the answers. I, for one, want to know who is in bed with whom.

    And. Happy Birthday Nancy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the birthday greetings!! I now am collecting the goverment money that you young people work so hard for and the goverment takes and shares....This medicare thing is something new--will see how much they pay for a physical..once in a medicare life time. I love the picture of that beautiful cake!! I was just about to share your blog with some other older friends that do not understand what a blog is or does...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish I could bribe my sprogs to help with cleaning!

    Great cake - Happy Birthday Nancy - you sound as groovy as my Mother in Law (who took up roller blading at 60!).
    DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy is my mom and yes she does Rock! Thanks Green Girl for wishing her a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the coolest cake ever! Happy Birthday Nancy..It's a full moon out SO go a little nutso.. hey it's your birthday!

    Thanks for the heads up on "For Whom the Money Buys..Nice read!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.