Saturday, February 2, 2008

Thank Goodness for Little Girls

In a month we will have cases of Girl Scout cookies delivered to our house. Why? Because Mr. D lu-uves little girls. Little girls with big brown eyes. Little girls with ponytails. Little girls who wear spangly pink sweatshirts and matching hair thingys. He is the Ultimate Sucker for Little Girls because he hasn't any of his own to help him build up resistance to their charms. Consequently every co-worker with a daughter in Scouts drops by his office with their Little Brownies and Daisies in tow and he caves like San Francisco during the big quake. He puts check marks by a minimum of 6 boxes for each cute Little Girl. Thin Mints, Caramel Delites, whatever they're selling he'll buy at least a half dozen. "But she had the biggest, brownest eyes," he'll tell me. "You should have heard her sales pitch--it was so cute."

We'll apply for a loan from the bank to pay off the cookie debt and probably have to join Weight Watchers or the local gym. I've started clipping recipes to help use up the cookies when we get sick of eating them straight up with a side of milk. Damn those Little Girls for preying on Mr. D's weakness ... the Girl Scouts of America has no idea how well Mr. D has funded this year's camp outs, crafts and field trips.

6 comments:

  1. Ah, so sorry. Tell me, Green Girl, do those Girl Scout cookies have trans fats, speaking of food?

    Mr. G is not alone. I still look at my nine-year old and disintegrate, she's that darn adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get this love of little girls. No one in my house likes the damn cookies, and I end up buying 6-8 boxes every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So. If I put in brown contacts, will your hubby buy 6 houses from me?

    Just a thought...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They freeze well, you know. At least, the Thin Mints do...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, I wished I'd known. I would have flown my resident Brownie up there.

    Did you know that of the $3.50 you paid for each box of cookies, less than a dollar (about 90 cents) goes to the troop? All the rest goes to Girl Scouts USA -- in other words, not to the girls themselves. I was the leader of two troops for two years and, the second year, the parents of both my troops agreed that we would not be selling cookies simply because the vast majority of the work was done by little girls who would not be seeing much return for their efforts. This year, my resident Brownie and I talked about the cookie sales and we ended up doing a whole lot of nothing. We bought some cookies and that was it. No going door-to-door, no begging the resident dad to take the form into his office, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hee hee - did you know Brownies in the UK don't do cookies? Better move here!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.