Thursday, March 6, 2008

Comfort Me, Food

They keep getting sick and staying sick and Green Girl's mighty sick of it all. Plus her head is all stuffed and plugged still and while she's hungry, nothing tastes. She wants to open windows and air out the house, but it's 20 degrees outside. She wants to go for a long walk in the woods--alone--but can't leave 3 kids unsupervised. She wants to breathe free and taste life again, but alas, she cannot. The world is muffled by mucus, suffocated by snot, padded by post-nasal drip.

But Green Girl can fantasize about food. The comfort food that she'll prepare and eat when her tongue and nose are fully functioning again. Comfort food that keeps a gal warm and sustained in the last month of winter...

Chocolate cake with white frosting

Grilled (sharp cheddar) cheese sandwiches and tomato-basil soup

Eggs (real ones, Domestically Challenged!) over easy with buttered toast to dip in the yolks

Scalloped ham and potatoes--smooth and salty bliss

Corn bread dripping with butter (real butter, no margarine!)

Sweet potatoes mashed with a topping of mini-marshmallows

Lasagna and garlic bread

Green Girl's boys wish for other fare, jell-o and white bread spread with butter eaten while watching Godzilla vs. Biolante. Their taste, she thinks, is all in their mouths.

What comfort foods make your mouth water in the final month of winter?




11 comments:

  1. Comfort food you ask..My son's birthday is on Sat and I asked him what he wants for his birthday dinner, nothing else but brats and cheese curds for this WI boy. I kid you not. I would like some roast turkey with stuffing! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grilled cheese, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slow cooked pinto beans served on soft corn tortillas.

    Homemade mac 'n' cheese.

    Basic popcorn with a hint of salt.

    And now I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Green Girl--please know that soon you will all be well and back to "normal". Making all those wonderful comfort foods will also help---Get better--

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love comfort food...my favourite might be sausages and mashed potato, with a big helping of onion jam.

    Glad you have 'happy' eggs! Wish I could send you some of ours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is making me hungry. I ate far too much comfort food all winter and now I'm fasting until spring ;)

    We do a lot of stews and breads in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade macaroni and cheese. I have a recipe that calls for cream cheese, too. It is sooo good.

    I'm not even hungry and all of those sounded good.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely Italian Short Ribs (found in Joy of Cooking-in large meals section). Homemade Mac and Cheese. Chili with Tortillas. Grilled Cheese with Gruyere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you send the 3 kids off into the woods and YOU stay home alone? Options.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I call this my glop: acorn squash with curried cauliflower, blue cheese crumbles mixed in. Dense and dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ALL these glorious food options..And me..stuck in Nutrisystem HELL....ACKK!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.