Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Hot for Gray





'Tis true, I have a thing for gray-haired guys. George Clooney? Mmmm-hmmm. John Slattery? Oh yeah. Paul Newman? Never goes out of style for this broad. Jon Stewart? The silver temples make him even MORE adorable. Harrison Ford? Truly. Richard Gere, Jeremy Irons and Wisconsin's former first man, Brett Favre, all make my "A" List of Sexy Gray Haired Guys. And yes, I know he's dead, but Cary Grant's graying hair made him even more debonair.

My appreciation for The Silver Fox originated with Mr. D. When we first met (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and color TV had not yet been invented), I only saw Mr. D in the dimly lit bar where I worked pouring beer and mixing cocktails. Mr. D almost always wore a baseball cap and I suppose the few times he wasn't it was so dark in the bar that I never registered his hair color.


Fast-forward to our first date: a winter afternoon, we're going to his best friend's mom's wedding (seriously, and no, we did NOT live in Appalachia at the time, but trust me, there's a lot of hick and redneck strangeness in rural Wisconsin). He waits for me in my parents' living room (long story on why he's picking me up there) where the sunlight pours through huge windows. I come around the corner to meet him and literally stop cold in my tracks. Yes, he looks handsome in a suit and tie, but what freezes me is his hair--shining silver in the sunlight.


How old is this guy?
How had I not noticed his gray hair?
How old is this guy?
I've never dated a guy with gray hair before.
Seriously, how old is he?

These thoughts swirl in my head while I slip into my coat and head out with Mr. D. Several dates later, charmed by his humor, his good manners and his adoration for me, I learned that a mere 8 years separated us--a negligable difference. I also learned that Mr. D started premature graying when he was in college. Oh.

Time passed and I grew to admire the mix of colors--silver, white, gray, light brown--and the silky texture of his hair. I appreciated that while his brothers' hair receded and disappeared, he still had a full head of it. Now, almost 15 years later, I look back on old photos and laugh at my perception--compared to today, Mr. D was really brown-haired when we met, only streaked with gray and silver. Time has truly made Mr. D a Silver Fox.


Gray hair shows confidence, it's not a look for the weak or insecure, perhaps that's what makes it sexy. A lot of things make a man look attractive--broad shoulders, dark eyes, a slight swagger when they walk, a deep and gravelly voice. But for me? I'll always take a second glance at a gray haired guy and they all take second place to Mr. D
(except maybe for George Clooney).

14 comments:

  1. I too LOVE LOVE LOVE a man with those gray temples. My husband not only has the gray in his hair but also in his goatee- Yep, I like a man with TRIMMED facial hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my age grey gets my vote too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it would help your appreciation of Mr. D., I'd be happy to take over the care and management of George Clooney for you. (That is, if Mrs. G. doesn't beat me to it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, gray-haired gentleman are starting to look very attractive to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All sexy beasts....especially George and Harrison....but now we want to see Mr D in all his silver haired glory!

    Also want rest of story...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband started going gray a few years ago. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just made my day. I love John Slattery (ever since Homefront--do you remember that show?). Love him.

    What about Sam Elliott? Sigh.

    Yes, where's the pic of Mr. D?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw a recent movie with Richard Gere, dyed BROWN! It was just not the same and totally distracted me from the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In college, I had a huge crush on a guy in my sociology class who was, at age 21, grey.

    Sigh.

    Now, Mr. Wonderful has lots of grey in his closely-shorn hair. I loooooove it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ummmmmm hummmmmmm sexy. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did I miss this yesterday. Have mercy, I love the grey haired men!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cary Grant and George Clooney in one post? I think my big O just peaked.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you've struck a nerve here, Green Girl (a good nerve that is!)

    Granted, I would take George Clooney and Jon Stewart even if they had purple hair. The grey is just an added bonus.

    Oh, and I would add Gregory Peck and Gabriel Byrne to the list :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.