Monday, April 14, 2008

Karate Kid


The hardest thing I've ever done as a parent (aside from bringing the children into this world) is sit through my son's black belt qualification test--starting at 1:30 Saturday afternoon with a 3 mile run and ending at 6:00 p.m. with this:


The red stripe means Mr. T has completed the requirements
to move on to the next belt rank: 1st Degree Black Belt

Truly? I could not be prouder of Mr. T. He completed the same amount of push ups, dips and sit ups--and more sprints--than kids twice his age. He punched and kicked hard, dripped sweat, sobbed a little, and never lost his focus. He demonstrated his forms, his nunchucks, his self-defense and even when he got stuck, he didn't quit. He showed more emotional, physical and mental stamina than many adults and even when teenagers were puddles, crying because of Mr. O's torture, Mr. T turned those feelings into determination to succeed.

Mr. T--1st Degree Black Belt. In two weeks he'll be awarded his belt (stitched with his name) and be addressed as Mr. W at karate school. He has joined less than 1% of the population who have achieved this goal. I think he's more special, though, not because he's only 8, but because he's my kid.

13 comments:

  1. That is SOOO amazing.You must one proud mama.DivaLand sends its best Grown Up Congratulations to Mr. T !

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROCK ON MR. T..And the Mama gets to be PROUD! VERY PROUD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fantastic. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! So amazing!!! I did martial arts as an adult. I lasted 6 months. My dream is that my kids will do it for a few years to learn lots of great skills, self-confidence, listening to authority, etc. But to even dream black belt is a little beyond me.

    You go boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! My three boys just started Taekwondo this term, and they are loving it.

    And tell sugarlips that OUR tooth fairy only pays for nice shiny teeth! AND, he knows the Easter Bunny. If you don't take care of your teeth, the Easter Bunny will only bring carrots. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done little T!

    quite apart from being really good for exercise and for discipline ...you never know when it will come in handy!

    I did it.....and years later got attacked in the street....
    all I can say girls, is that he came off a lot worse than me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Mr. T! What a huge achievement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Good for him!!

    You should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to Mr. T (and his mom) for making Black Belt! At age 8!!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.