Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Spring comes to Wisconsin

This spring has really jerked us around--we've had 70 degrees and sunny one day, flurries of snow the next. Do we unpack summer shorts and flip flops or keep the winter coats and boots at the ready? Are we opening windows or ordering more propane to keep heating the house?

Then it turned startlingly warm yesterday. Off went the heat, up went the windows. I went outside and quite literally observed the effects of springtime in Wisconsin. Leaves unfurled on trees. The peonies and lilies moved two more inches out of the earth. The delphiniums and hostas took on new form. Tulips, just buds two days ago, became fireworks of color in my yard. Crabapple trees and lilacs will be in full bloom within a week. The white bass run on the river. Baby birds hatch out of eggs and busy mamas fly frantically around collecting worms. I keep the feeders full, always sympathetic to the flight of a harried mother.
Even the sounds of the schoolyard across the field are more boisterous, the energy in tandem with the temperature outside.

Last night I inhaled the metallic tang of night air coming through my window screen, so blessedly cool on my face and arms. The birds began their singing at five this morning and it was nice to hear them from my burrow beneath the sheets.

The baseball season is nearing its end, our team is in a 3-way tie for first in the conference. It's a battle to play ball in 45 degree weather with the wind fierce in your face. The bleachers will finally fill with fans--excited for a shot at the conference title for the first time in 22 years and for the ambiance of cheering in the stands when the sun shines.

Yesterday Mr. G and I made it into the woods on the 4-wheeler. We sat on the bridge over the creek, running fast but not flooding over the banks anymore. He threw rocks and sticks, I studied the trees knocked out by winter storms. After school, Team Testosterone kicked off shoes and socks and headed for the novelty of a full sandbox, the grass soft and long underfoot. They all had ice cream before bed.

When you've been cooped up for nearly half a year, it's good when spring comes to Wisconsin.


Front porch views at Green Girl's house

11 comments:

  1. And don't forget to having to SCRUB dirty feet everynight from wearing the flip flops. I have decided NO matter how cold or yucky it become in WI, I am NOT putting on closed toe shoes again until October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful.

    I know I'm spoiled--I never put the flip-flops away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!

    It's like that here and we're definitely scrubbing filthy feet every night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE how you describe the beginning of spring, there. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here in Iowa, but we are still waiting for our buds to open.

    I need to mow, though, so I guess that makes spring official!

    Six months of winter is too dang long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tulips looks so pretty. They don't do well here because it doesn't get cold enough. So they peter out after a year or two. And we don't have lilacs.

    I miss lilacs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your descriptions are amazing, and the tulips are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The heel cream, from wearing birkies; the smell of fresh air and those birds! I just love it all...

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.