Thursday, May 15, 2008

You can call me Princess Diana

She looks just like me! Except my boots are green rubber and don't have heels and pointed toes. I totally rock the bustier and the silver bracelets, though. Wonder Woman, the ultimate warrior, began as "Princess Diana," the daughter of the Queen of the Amazons, molded out of clay by Zeus. Blessed by the gods with remarkable powers and trained by her Amazon sisters, she ventured into the world to aid humankind. (I know, my knowledge of comic book heroes and stories is freakishly awesome.)

So far "Princess Diana" isn't catching on as my alter ego name. I tried "Shayera Hol," but with various speech impediments afflicting Mr. B and Mr. G ("Bruce" and "Peter Parker"), I quickly abandoned any dream of adopting Hawkgirl as my secret identity.

I have a lot in common with Wonder Woman, as it turns out. The beige minivan is a pretty invisible means of transport and I use my arms as a magic lasso to capture and restrain ornery children. If I could just figure out how to make these damn bracelets fix dinner and do the laundry, I'd embrace my inner Amazon goddess ...

***

In baseball news, Mr. D's team has a huge double-header tonight. Our calendar says only a couple weeks of baseball remain. Part of me is glad for that--our crazy schedule is on my last nerve and I'll be glad for what passes for "normal" to return. Part of me is sad because I know how much Mr. D loves this team and all of his seniors. It's been a great run for them and when it ends it'll be tough, especially since next year's team won't be as strong. They're clinging to every game and every practice now, knowing it'll soon be over. They're rewriting baseball history in this town right now and I'm so proud of their effort and how it's paying off. I never would've predicted this story for Mr. D as a coach--it's great to see him love something so passionately and be so successful at it. The man has done a lot of things I've admired, but coaching the way he does definitely makes the top 10 list.

***

In Mr. T news, the Big Dyslexia Testing takes place this afternoon. Finally we move forward with gathering information. Finally we'll be equipped to make decisions about this summer and next fall. Finally I can lop a Big Project off of my To-Do List. It'll be lovely to figure out just a portion of what makes that kid tick.

***

Last night at Mr. T's soccer practice Mr. B made a new friend. She asked him, "What's your name?" He replied, "It's complicated. When I was born I had a different name, but then I changed it." Then he looked at me, confusion etched on his brow. I looked at the girl and cut to the chase for him. "Just call him Bruce." Mr. B smiled and they ran to play tag.








9 comments:

  1. You've given me food for thought! I'll have to decide what I want my alter ego to be. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You kids say the darnest things. They make my morning routine perfect!
    I am hopeful Mr. T will find the right amount of help with a proper diagonsis. And with you has his mother, I know this to be true. heart you- S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Wonder Woman is a perfect alter ego. Plus, the outfit is hot.

    Sending good thoughts about the testing this afternoon. I imagine that "knowledge is power" really does apply here.

    I love your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with Mr. T's testing this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Just call him Bruce." Too funny.

    You are truly a Wonder, woman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to redraw in green -just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder Woman, huh? I always called you that..., only with nicer thighs.

    Great: you will soon have Mr. T's test results. Fingers crossed the ball team wins tonight and history continues to be written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "just call him bruce" -- sounds like mom always knows what to say...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude. If you are Wonder Woman, do we get to live and work together at the Hall of Justice? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.