Friday, June 6, 2008

Flashback Friday

Books I loved reading as a child:

Several gigantic books of fairy tales & nursery rhymes
Betsy-Tacy series
Everything by Beverly Cleary (I was Beezus Quimby! I yearned to live on Klickitat Street)
(I was Anne Shirley, too) Anne of Green Gables series
Nancy Drew
Trixie Belden
(I never wanted to own a horse, however)
Dancing Shoes, Ballet Shoes, Skating Shoes, and the rest
Little House on the Prairie series
Encyclopedia Brown (being a detective would be cool, though)
The Phantom Tollbooth
Donna Parker
(I know--but my Grandma gave them to me)
Blubber, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Izzie's House...and of course, the rest
The Great Brain (still great reading)
Black Beauty (seriously, was not into horses)
A Gift of Magic by Lois Duncan
The Against Taffy Sinclair Club
Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of NIMH
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
The Black Cauldron
True Grit
Heidi

The Chronicles of Narnia
The Cricket in Times Square, Harry Cat's Pet Puppy, Tucker's Countryside
Sing Down the Moon
Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade
The Secret Garden
Susan Brown, Camp Counselor
(you guessed it, Grandma)
Mama's Bank Account (I wanted to live in another time)
The Black Stallion (NOT into horses, I tell you)
Kitty in the Middle
In Grandma's Attic
Little Women, Little Men, Eight Cousins
The Trolley Car Family
Pippi Longstocking
(orphans of all kinds intrigued me)
Queenie Peavy
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
The Borrowers

The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew
Jacob Have I Loved
Caddie Woodlawn
Tuck Everlasting
All of a Kind Family
by Sidney Taylor
A Little Princess (the best orphan tale of them all)
Peachtree Island
by Mildred Lawrence

The public library's summer reading program was a big deal for me. I was the skinny girl with scabby knees and a raggedy ponytail getting her card stamped twenty times every week and telling the librarian far more than she ever needed to know about the books I was returning. I fantasized about reading every book on the library's shelves--going around the entire room and devouring them. Every. Last. One.

18 comments:

  1. All great reads - lots of memories with many of those books too. I loved anything by Beverly Cleary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT list! I used to check out ten books at a time...only because that was the LIMIT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful list. Those were some of my favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in a small town and I swear I DID read every book in our school library. I remember finding a really, really old book that was the basis for "The Parent Trap". Now I can't remember what it was called!

    Our teacher in 5th and 6th grade lived in "the city" and she used to bring books from the Sioux City library once a month. I think she probably checked out the max she could and brought them to us.

    God Bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Melissa I'm so impressed that you can remember all the titles!

    At six I guzzled Enid Blyton,
    A real favourite was Noel Stretfield's 'Ballet Shoes' and Philippa Pearce's 'Tom's Midnight Garden'.
    But top choice would have been anything by Roald Dahl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and I would have been best friends. The library was 3 blocks from my house and on the way home from school. Sometimes I would read several books a day. I've read most of your list--it pains me to say my daughter's never understood the magic of the Betsy-Tacy books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO many of my favorites on that list. Also, I loved anything by John Bellairs (like The Letter, The Witch and the Ring), and the Wrinkle in Time series.

    I'm so relating to that little scabby-kneed girl in the library.

    I hope I raise my daughters to love books as much as I do,

    Deb
    sandiegomomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh.

    I was the girl in the library, too!

    Another fav that I recently reread and loved just as much as an adult: From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. I sooo wanted to live in a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved many of these books! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when the kids come and in talk about what they have read. You probably would have been one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an amazing list of books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list. Would you believe I didn't discover the Betsy-Tacy books until my oldest daughter was about 9 or 10? I love them! And The Littlest Princess! And A Tree Grows In Brooklyn! Best books ever...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved so many of those books too!
    Judy Blume especially, Heidi and The Secret Garden. I used to look everywhere for a secret garden!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great list. I love the image of you at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been reading since kindergarten. I practically lived at the library until I was old enough to get a summer job.

    I LOVED Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales, Nancy Drew, Heidi and biographies of famous people especially Helen Keller

    ReplyDelete
  16. Betsy and Tacy and Trixie and Oz; Nancy and Pippi and the Borrowers galore; the One-of-a-Kind family, Alcott and Eyre. Such good memories you brought up! Love flashback Fridays!
    I used to trek home from the Floral Park Public Library with arms filled with books, over a mile. Now why didn't they tell us about book bags then?
    Books: A Girl's Best Friend, never leave her flat, always there ready to transport her away~

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was a big Beverly Cleary fan and also read a fratrillion Sweet Valley High books!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVED The Trolley Car Family :) Makes me smile to see it on your list. I even bought it used a couple years ago (I don't think it's in print anymore) just so I'd always have it!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.