Monday, July 7, 2008

Blech!

Five things I loathe that most other people adore:

1. Liquorice. The smell, the sight, the taste makes me want to vomit. Sad, because "Twizzler" is a fun word to say.

2. Perfume. Again--it's the smell. I don't like how my skin smells when I wear perfume and most of the time it seems perfume wears people, not the other way around. On a rare occasion a person will have a subtle scent about them that accentuates their personality and spirit. But most of the time? Hand me a tissue because I'm about to sneeze!

3. Boston. The band, not the city. I cannot stand the sound of them at a party, in a car, on a boat, in a bar.

4. Smelly lotions, body scrubs, etc. from The Body Shop or Bath and Body Works or anywhere else. There is no such thing as a "pearberry" or a "dewberry." It's just some nauseating made up smell from a factory in Ohio. The only smells I like are natural ones--patchouli, lemon, rosemary, mint, orange, lavender, eucalyptus--not the "factory-concocted-versions." Only the real deal. So if the smell isn't derived from natural oils? Ew.

5. Cocktails--especially fruity kiddie cocktails. I like REAL beer and wine. A gin and tonic on a hot summer day or a vodka lemonade. Fruity/iced tea/lemonade/wine cooler drinks in glass bottles? No thank you very much. If you're pouring light beer or wine coolers at your party, I'm drinking tap water. I hoot at Zima drinkers, scoff at Mike's Hard Lemonade sippers, and snicker at any fool drinking a bottled "margarita."

I know, picky, picky, picky. No weird smells, no liquorice, no fluffy fruity cocktails.


11 comments:

  1. I'm with you on these. Only, substitute "Rush" for "Boston." I hate them so much Pete hasn't listened to them in years out of deference to my sensitive ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'm with you on everything but Boston, too. I love them, they've always been my absolute favorite.

    And I hate fake smells SOOOO much I could puke when I walk in Bath & Bodyworks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a real margarita on the rocks. The bottled stuff? Ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh ... gotta join jenontheedge and mom on the run about the whole Boston thing. I *heart* them emphatically. But let's talk about my hatred of Pink Floyd and bottled margaritas. Pull up a chair and let me make you a real cocktail ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would fit in just fine at our home, where beer, wine and water are served to guests.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to #1 if it's black and amen to all of #4. And Boston? Their just kind of eh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um. That should be "they're". How embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing that we can be such good friends! I love Twizzlers licorice, I use Bath & Body Works fruity body washes religiously, I don't drink beer and I order kiddie cocktails at weddings and fish fries on the premise it's for one of the kids. I'm neutral on Boston. But I'm not a big perfume person if that makes things any better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I promise not to wear much perfume around you or eat licorice. :-) But you won't catch me drinking wine coolers, either. I'm with you on the real stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sensing mostly a smell association to the things you loathe (even the cocktails...b/c the fake ones smell icky icky yuck yuck).

    As for Boston, maybe somewhere deep in your past, you smelled something foul while hearing their music and that visceral "ewww!" reaction just stuck with you.

    Or, they suck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You would have totally dissed me on the 4th. First, I had a Rum Punch, then a Mike's, and FINALLY moved on to Yuengling.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.