Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Contest for you Crazy Dreamers Out There

A couple weeks ago I mused about what I wanted to be when I grew up--according to my memory book, I had aspirations to be a poet/author/ballerina/restaurant owner while living mostly in a garret in Paris and wearing black. Your responses to my post were nothing short of astonishing! It was the best reading I'd enjoyed Ever In the History of My Comments. I've decided to let you in on the fun with a little quiz for you.

Match the Blogger with the childhood fantasy. Can you figure out which Blogger had what dream? No cheating ...

I'll post the correct answers AND the winner (most correct guesses) Monday!

1) Jennifer H at Thursday Drive

2) Little Miss Sunshine State

3) Jenn at Juggling Life

4) Blackbird

5) San Diego Momma

6) Saucy at Bloggedy Blog Blog

7) Nan at Things I've Found in Pockets

8) Auntie M

9) Gertrude at The World According to Gert

10) Minnesota Matron

12) Angie at Are We There Yet?

13) Hen at Diary of Domestic Hiss

14) Holly at Oh but No

15) Jen on the Edge

16) Cha Cha at Noodleroux

17) Ree the Hotfessional

18) Mary Alice From the Frontlines



A) I wanted to be a writer from the third grade on...but sometimes it took the form of "advertising copywriter," or "movie synopsis writer." Those dreams didn't persist. I also NEVER envisioned myself as married with children or living so far from my beloved midwest. Although I imagined myself as always a city dweller. And so I thought I'd stay in Chicago forever, with an occasional jaunt to New York and Paris.


B) I wanted to be something between Mary and Rhoda. Writing or anything creative and with a style that was either chic and professional or quirky and artistic, it didn't matter, just as long as I was independent and living in a city in a great apartment (yes, I thought a 60's harvest gold studio apartment was great).


C) I would be a Famous Writer for magazines, books, etc. I never imagined children.


D) Having a great family was my dream. I think I wanted everything different from the way it was in the family I grew up in. I always thought I would be a writer also, probaby a journalist. Now that I'm finishing my teaching credential I can totally see myself submitting articles for educational journals.

E) Grow organic food, live off the grid and raise my own wool.

F) I eschewed smoking and wearing black when I gave up on being a theatre major.

G) I was going to be a large animal veterinarian, never get married and never, ever, ever have kids.

H) I dreamed of being Mom to 3 kids and a piano teacher.

I) At 10 I wanted to be a prima ballerina. At 14 I wanted to marry Simon Le Bon
At 16 I wanted to be a designer At 28 I wanted to have babies At 30 I wanted to marry Robbie Williams At 35 I wanted to join the circus..(Giffords)
At 39 I want to grow old disgracefully!

J) I wanted to live in the mountains with the gorillas like Dian Fossey.

K) A national news anchor. And I never planned on having kids.

L) I always wanted to be a mom.

M) A corporate raider.I figured I would work long enough to receive a coupl of golden parachutes before abandoning the work-a-day world to travel.
I intended to prove that I could "have it all" by having my children created in test tubes and carried by surrogates--- all without any male inclusion beyond my selection from a donation center. An entourage of nannies, a personal chef, and a personal assistant would keep my household running beautifully no matter where we chose to live that week.

N) A spy, a rock star, a vet, a lawyer, a designer, and an architect. Marriage was not on the cards, but I might have a kid who would travel the world with me as an accomplice spy/rockstar.


O) I was always going to have three kids and I was definitely going to be the next Julie Andrews. I could sing and did dance but the fact that i never grew over 5'2" had something to do with that. If I couldn't be Julie, than I would either be a Great Writer or the Head Librarian at the Bodleian in Oxford

P) I wanted to go back in time and live like Laura Ingalls Wilder. Then, I got smitten with our paperboy and had a notion to marry him and start a mass-production company of some sort. He never spoke to me (I was nine) and my business plan never went into action.

Q) For some reason, when I was growing up, and even all the way through high school, it never occurred to me to think about a husband and children. I had NO IDEA what I wanted to be. For that matter, I'm still not sure.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, man. I totally missed out on that one. I'm not even going to hazard a guess on the matching game, but that's cool you got so many responses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to take some work. I'll come back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy mackerel. This is a toughie. But I'm going to try!
    {Give me a minute...}}}}}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. First thoughts?
    Blackbird always wanted to be a mom. Hen wantesd to be the next Julie Andrews. Ree wanted to be Mary or Rhoda. Jenn is the writer in "D"? I don't know Little Miss Sunshine, but she's "A"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was the best I could do:

    #3 -- D
    #4 -- L
    #8 -- B
    #13 -- E
    #15 (me) -- Q
    #17 -- M

    ReplyDelete
  6. i guess auntie m is "O" and Hen is "I"--do I win, do I win?!!!! Oh, you mean I have to get them ALL?? Nuts~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! Imagine the busy Matron's surprise, when she finally has time to be visiting all her friends, to find herself short-listed. She knows 10 of the 18 and will give this a stab. God help her if she can't recognize herself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My God. This is tough, although the Matron recognizes her egomanical self, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll get back to you tomorrow. This will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) Jennifer H at Thursday Drive
    D A born writer, but I'm not sure about the teaching credentials?
    2) Little Miss Sunshine State

    3) Jenn at Juggling Life

    4) Blackbird
    A You can take the girl out of the Midwest and plunk her in Tuvalu...
    5) San Diego Momma

    6) Saucy at Bloggedy Blog Blog

    7) Nan at Things I've Found in Pockets

    8) Auntie M

    9) Gertrude at The World According to Gert

    10) Minnesota Matron
    C Another born writer
    12) Angie at Are We There Yet?

    13) Hen at Diary of Domestic HissO Because she is just brilliant enough to be an Oxford head librarian

    14) Holly at Oh but No

    15) Jen on the EdgeP Didn't all of us museum types dream of living in another time?

    16) Cha Cha at Noodleroux

    17) Ree the Hotfessional
    B Because Mary and Rhoda were so cool, but I think I would have turned into a Phyllis.
    18) Mary Alice From the Frontlines
    K She can not hide her glamorous nature even in a minivan
    Ummm...That's all I got.
    Oh! And I wanted to be a priest until Father Brown told me I couldn't be an acolyte anymore because I was a girl. After that I wanted to be a feminist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy Wow. Yeah, I thought about taking a stab at it, but I couldn't do it through the laughter. As much as I was entertained by the first run on these comments, I think the second time around may have been even better...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here are some of the Matronly guesses (and I'm agreeing with many, here)

    1. A
    3. D
    4. L
    8. B
    10. C
    12. E
    13. O
    14. F
    15. Q
    16. M
    17. B

    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good God, there's too many good blogs out there. Now you've gone ahead and given me more to read.
    I don't yet read all those bloggers (but I sure am going to start...), so I'm just going to hazard guesses for now.

    1) Jennifer H at Thursday Drive: B

    2) Little Miss Sunshine State: F

    3) Jenn at Juggling Life: D

    4) Blackbird: E

    5) San Diego Momma: A

    6) Saucy at Bloggedy Blog Blog: G

    7) Nan at Things I've Found in Pockets: J

    8) Auntie M: O

    9) Gertrude at The World According to Gert: P

    10) Minnesota Matron: H

    12) Angie at Are We There Yet?: J

    13) Hen at Diary of Domestic Hiss: I

    14) Holly at Oh but No: C

    15) Jen on the Edge: N

    16) Cha Cha at Noodleroux: P

    17) Ree the Hotfessional: M

    18) Mary Alice From the Frontlines: K

    Is there not a "L" in the line-up, because that freaked me out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought Jen on the Edge was I but if she says she is Q then I guess I have to trust her...

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.