Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Great White Moons in the Mountains

One day after a thorough reading of my manuscript, our little writing club grabbed a picnic lunch and headed into the wilderness. We drove and drove and drove and drove--admiring lovely wild flowers, rugged mountain peaks, ranch land populated with beef cattle and the sky miles closer than the one we see back home. We reached the top of a peak in a state park and pulled over near a picnic table. Another car was parked near by and clouds threatened our party. Thunder rumbled and sudden shocks of lightening had us agreeing to eat our picnic in Lauren's Subaru (a fine vehicle, but not built for 5 ladies to lunch in).

Three of us had bladders ready to burst and I suggested we follow a trail that led down the mountain--"Let's just get out of view from that other car and we'll be good to go." Napkins in hand, we started our hike. Glancing back for the fourth time, I was assured of our privacy. We unzipped and crouched and I hollered a caution to everyone, "Make sure your feet are uphill of your butts!" (Peeing outdoors takes a certain finesse.)

There we squatted, doing our business, when a huge SUV rumbled past us. The secluded hiking path? Led downhill to a great view of the main road--and everyone driving by had a great view of three of us mooning.

I'm sure if I had any Girl Scout badges, that would've been avoided, but we wouldn't have ripped our guts laughing.

15 comments:

  1. Classic. That guy/girl had quite a story to tell after that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of the downhill part...I would have been the one who peed into my own shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who hasn't made an error like that while getting back to nature? Thankfully it wasn't in the neighborhood you actually live in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You probably made the driver's day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why I am completely unable to pee outside. No matter how hard I try, I can't. So someday I may just explode from the inside out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! You gave me my laugh for the day!

    The good thing is that from that angle, you were unrecognizable...

    And, you also proved that women always, but always, go to the bathroom together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bwahahahaaa! Oh, think of the joy you brought those total strangers. One of them is probably blogging right now, about the sight of three ditzy hikers peeing in full view of the road!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine the double take the driver must have expe.rienced-your trip sounds so cool-and affirming

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl Scout training is also helpful when replacing TP with leaves; you avoid poison ivy that way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely hilarious! It's a wonder the guy driving the SUV didn't run off the road!

    I think it is awesome that you dedicated a week to working with aspiring writers! Pretty special!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If this experience didn't bond you ladies for life, I can't imagine what could!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made my coffee squirt out my nose! All of us goofy Canadian farm kids know the uphill thing! the fan

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.