Thursday, July 24, 2008

Kicking it June Cleaver-style

Gadzooks! TX Poppet just confessed that wanted to be a priest when she was little! I swear--you Bloggers keep amazing me! I do feel glad that none of you made it to Blogher this year, I'd have felt totally bummed not getting to meet you in person. And now I totally understand why Bossy went on a road trip.

What's new? I got up too early with Mr. G and made my first batch of raspberry jam. I feel ridiculously proud--the bright red jars lined up on my countertop have me calculating the savings if I made all my own jam!

While jamming in my kitchen, I wondered about Minnesota Matron's upcoming block party and Scarlett's play. And Sarah O's daughter home from surgery. And Pretty Shiny's move, Suburban Correpsondent's book giveaway and fridge, and Fannie Mae and her sister and the house woes she's having. It occurred to me that like my mother and grandmothers, I have little dramas occupying my mind--theirs came from soap operas and neighborhoods. Mine are from the Blogosphere and real (unlike the soap operas). But I also cannot affect them--by watching a child for a few hours or making a casserole like one would with a neighbor because these people live far away. Perhaps it's just enough to know other people are thinking/praying/hoping for you. I certainly think so.

In Bad Mommy News (or Good Mommy?), I have told a whopper to my Disney Channel/Nickelodean-Addicted children. I've set the Closed-Caption on the TV and now there's a big black box in the center of the picture. Ha! "Oh no! The TV isn't working!" Now they have to DO things and actually PLAY instead of zoning out in front of the tube. After telling my whopper my living room looks like this:

That, friends, is the old Fisher-Price Imaginext line before they went and babyfied it a few years ago. Imaginative battle castles, fortresses, enclaves and dungeons populated with wizards, knights, kings and trolls abound in my living room. Take that, Zach and Cody, Hannah Montana and I, Carly! My children's creativity is unleashed in all of it's glory and I don't think that TV set will get fixed anytime soon. Now instead of begging for the latest thing they've seen in a commercial, Team Testosterone is busy rediscovering the toys they own. I'm thinking that Closed-Captioning feature is the best thing since sliced bread with homemade raspberry jam!


13 comments:

  1. l love it. My boys are currently building a mini-golf course through my entire house. i'm scheduled to play sometime today.

    i fight the TV battle big time -- I need to spend about 4 -5 hours at my desk every day and always part of this is them in front of the TV. It's so easy to say, one more show, when I'm trying to make a deadline.

    the more i get them away from it the happier they are...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea about the TV....I'll have to pass that on to my sister in law, who's 4 year old is PBS addicted.

    I love that the Jam making love has "spread" through the backyard! There is no prettier sight than homemade jam on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raspberry jam? June Cleaver, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I win the contest below, can you send me several jars of your raspberry jam?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You? Are brilliant! Think there's an option like that on the Nintendo DS?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to write your own "lies I have told my children" post-you're off to an excellent start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. June, you are surely the smartest Mom around! A jam-making, creativity ball of fire!! And you're cute, too~

    Even if I DON'T win the contest, can I have some jam?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, for getting the kids doing other things, instead of zoning out in front of the tube! America needs so much more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good trick.
    That little fellow looks just FINE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are brilliant. I'll have to play with my remote control later to see if this works on mine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for jam and imaginative play! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lying is a totally underrated parenting skill.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're June Cleaver in the best way!

    Just to put one of your "dramas" to rest, Emily is doing spectacularly well post-surgery. It's only been a week and, except for the fact that she can only open her jaw a little bit, she's back to normal! She doesn't even need pain meds any more. She's been talking nonstop ever since she woke up from surgery. And I'm going to gain 20 pounds if I don't stop sampling her endless milkshakes and smoothies.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.