Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Crab Rangoon at China Moon


Last winter Mr. T read The Zach Files, some series with a kid who kind of time travels and has really bizarre experiences. Because of Zach, he wanted to try Chinese food.

I've had a long love affair with Chinese food myself, starting in college (Hong Kong Cafe'!) and most recently China Moon. China Moon was minutes from our old house and when I was pregnant with Mr. T I ate there every week. It's a greasy little dive in a strip mall, nestled between a laundromat and the town's grocery store. The lighting is dim, the windows are a little dirty, the decor is a random mix of 1970's wallpaper and brass-finish with some Oriental touches hanging from walls and ceiling. The dining area is the same size as the kitchen, and the same cardboard box of cups has sat against the door between the two spaces since I can remember.

Mr. D is lukewarm on Chinese food so to have someone request eating it was a thrill for me. I was happy to bring Mr. T to China Moon, the location is terrific (across the street from their karate school, next to the grocery store I shop at) and the prices are pretty cheap. I know their food is fresh because the trucks are there EVERY DAY dropping off produce and seafood. And frankly? Nothing beats the deep-fried crispy goodness of egg rolls and crab rangoon.

I ordered for Mr. T the first time, introducing him to the crab, chicken-fried rice and some chicken and mixed vegetables. The next time he pointed to the backlit menu photos and said he wanted noodles. Ever since he's been a Pork Lo Mein boy.

The hostess barely speaks English, but she's friendly and smiling, anxious to get us our food fast and hot. The drink refills are free and if you don't look too closely at the filthy linoleum floor (hard to do anyway in the dim light) you can sigh deeply and tuck into the fresh pile of rice and steaming vegetables.

Yesterday we reached a new level of bliss at China Moon. It was lunchtime and I told the boys we could go there before grocery shopping (usually we have take-out at dinnertime, occasionally we dine-in). I had completely forgotten: China Moon's lunch buffet! All you can eat and drink!

Imagine the delight on their faces--all the crab rangoon they could eat! Bamboo sticks with barbequed pork, fried fish, egg rolls, chicken fried rice and dumplings! But no Pork Lo Mein. I explained to Mr. T that Vegetable Lo Mein is almost the same thing, try it! But the hostess? Even though they were taking down the buffet in fifteen minutes, she had the cook make up a fresh plate of Pork Lo Mein just for us. And fresh crab rangoon, too.

Full to bursting, we waddled out--for $12.50 plus tip we got to sample an array of great food. And sit in a booth! (Seems the owner went to an auction and replaced one of the two rows of tables with booths!)

China Moon, we can't quit you.

16 comments:

  1. $12.50??? So inexpensive for such pleasure. I'm glad you have a fellow chinese food lover to get jiggy with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That. Is. Awesome!!!!!
    I LOVE Chinese food! MMMmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a deal! I can barely take my brood out for a single scoop of ice cream for $12.50. Whoo-Hoo to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummo! I should make a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husband doesn't like Chinese? Blasphemy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!
    My middle boy LOVES the Chinese buffet, which is great since he's sixteen and could eat three adult's worth of food. The only problem is that my youngest associates Chinese food with...shall we say...(sorry) throw up, on account of an unfortunate experience the last time we ate Chinese food. So he's lost his taste for it. More than that, he starts feeling queasy if we just walk in.
    Now you've got me hungry for Chinese food tonight and meatloaf is on the menu. Shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm Thanks for the craving, Mama. Chinese sound way better than the leftovers I was planning.
    Mmmmm crab rangoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, we have those buffets around here, too!!! I love them - seafood and noodles. Pot stickers. Crab legs. yum....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a sucker for Egg Foo Young,Moo Shoo Pork and fried Wontons! What a great deal you had for all four of you, and see what repeat customs means when they treat you like an individual? Nice meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm... Chinese food. I'm still thinking about the Dim Sum we had in Toronto's Chinatown last week.

    When we lived in the DC area, there was an excellent Chinese place near us. They made the BEST spring rolls. Since we've moved to C'ville, we've been without spring rolls. No one here makes them. For nine years. It's been tough, but we're making it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait. $12.50 TOTAL? Or did I misread?
    That's almost worth a plane ride to Wisc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never tire of Chinese food. It's one of my absolute faves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never tire of Chinese food. It's one of my absolute faves!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never tire of Chinese food. It's one of my absolute faves!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our local res had a fire about a month ago and hasn't reopened since. We're absolutely bereft. ::sniff sniff::

    Except for little guy. He thinks dinner is supposed to have some kind of cheese sauce on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to find a chinese food place that is as increadible as that. I remember growing up eating at the local chinese food place and never realizing just how terrible it was until I left the rocky mountains, now it calls to me and I am suddenly in the mood for chinese food so desperately!

    Thanks a lot ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.