Thursday, August 14, 2008

Who Needs A Gold Medal?


Would you know if you had enough talent to be an Olympian fencer?


While watching the Olympics I always come back to the same question, how does one find out what they're so great at? Did Michael Phelps always love to swim and just know he was good at it? Or was he the product of spectacular opportunity and training? How on earth did a parent or coach look at Shawn Johnson when she was six years old and see the potential for greatness and know they should push her and keep her working at it? I belong to the "Hit or Miss School of Excellence" myself. Through classes and experiences I've exposed myself to all kinds of things and learned a) whether or not I liked them and b) whether or not I'm good at them (or, as was the case in a pottery-making class, dreadful at them). But what if I or my kids are inherently gifted at something we don't know about? Could I have a world-class equestrian on my hands but never know because we don't ride horses? Maybe Mr. B has the skills to become a NASCAR champion, but his dad plays baseball so we'll never go to the racetrack and inspire his love for his hidden talent. I might be an amazing pyrotechnician, but if I am, it'll remain undiscovered.

I know. Worry, worry, worry.

Perhaps it's easier to believe that only a few of us are gifted and the rest of us are average, living to the best of our ordinary ability while the superheroes win the medals and accolades for overachieving.

With all that said, I have received awards for BLOGGING (not for my pottery or for my fine embroidery work-hahaha). So, THANK YOU, readers and Mommy Always Wins & Mad Madge for acknowledging my effort and even my occasional achievement in the Blogosphere.


Mad Madge gave me this award:



It is " a token of one's style and substance as a blogger." Winners of the Arte Y Pico award must:

1) choose 5 blogs that you consider deserve this award for creativity, design, interesting material, and contribution to the blogging community, regardless of language.

2) publish the name of each award-winning author as well as a link to his or her blog.

3) Each award-winner must post a picture of the award and link back to the blog that has given the award.

4) Both the giver and the recipient of the award must link to the Arte y Pico blog, so everyone will know the origin of this award.

5) You must post these rules.

I'm awarding the Arte Y Pico to:

Rebecca Ramsey at Wonders Never Cease
--she is wonderful and has probably received this award 10 times before, but even so, it's well-deserved. From needles to French postcards, she writes about it all.

Casdok at Mother of Shrek,
who has taught me to appreciate beauty in a whole new way. Substance and style all the way.

Patience Crabstick at Fatuous Observations, who is anything but. Because of her I'm reading Do the Windows Open? and I think we are kindred spirits.

Susie from At Home With Me. Insightful does not begin to cover her writing.

Eurolush. Talk about internet eye candy! Through her eyes I'm seeing a part of the planet I've only imagined while reading Heidi.




Mommy Always Wins presented me with this:

I'm passing it along to the following brilliant bloggers who are super-achievers in my book:

The Adventures of a Farmer's Wife
because of her down-to-earth and down-home description of life on on the farm--and to make up for her loss of a 1st place at the county fair.

Amy's World
--a fellow Eco-Woman and mother of boys. Funny & smart writing.

Peggy at Divas Seasons 2, I can count on her to make me laugh every week like I can count on my hand and get to 5.

Now, readers, I must award a time-out to bachelor #3 who is making a HUGE mess and knows better.

15 comments:

  1. Some interesting thoughts there!!
    Congratulations on your awards! And thank you so much for thinking of me and your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You made my day!
    Thanks so much! Blogging is so much fun because it lets me meet cool new friends like you!
    And I had to share your bulb comment with my hubby yesterday. Very very funny!
    Give yourself a hug for me!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put my daughter in dance at 5 because she was always playing ballerina. After 3 months of classes, her teacher told me she had a lot of potential. She ended up loving it so much, she danced for 13 years and won gold and platinum medals in competition.

    I put my son in KungFu because he hated team sports and has ADD. He LOVED it, was ranked first in his age group for New England and now he is a KungFu teacher.

    They were both willing to spend at least 3 hours a day, 6 days a week, to become better. Neither one of them ever wanted to get involved in anything else that would take time away from their first love.

    I think when kids excell at ANYTHING (not just sports) it's because someone noticed a talent and gave the kid the opportunity
    to learn and practice and perform.

    I have known a few kids that showed some type of talent, but their parents didn't encourage them at all. Some found another adult to be their mentor and sadly, some went in the other direction and got into trouble.

    There, now I've written a post in your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! It is well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think one of my children had the potential to be an athletic superstar (I had knowledgeable people tell me that when he was 18 months old).

    We'll never know because I knew right away that I would never want to sacrifice my entire family for the sake of one child. I applaud what they do, but I'm not sure if what they give up is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thanks so much! Now I want to read the other people you gave awards to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am overwhelmed and touched. I can't wait to read the other blogs that you have awarded as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hell-O, Phelps has "flexible ankles"--- who checks their kid for that?! There are some standards that may be predictors of physical ability that just need to be filed under "Who knew?!" and left there for the general population.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa--

    Thanks for the award--though I hardly deserve it after a summer off. I appreciate your generosity!

    PS--Phelps and those arms...and that short torso...and those FEET. He was born to swim. And we're lucky to have him on OUR team!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! Loved this post!
    And congrats on your awards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it starts with a child's interest in a sport or activity. Then, in my experience, it's usually obvious when a child is a natural at it and/or has spectacular talent beyond what the other kids have.

    I'm with Jenn, though, and am glad that neither of my children is gifted athletically, as I think it can ultimately be to the detriment of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know about the Brilliant part (I see myself as slighty tarnished but worth a good shine now and again) ;P
    Thank you so much!I hope I can continue to make you laugh for a good long time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I'm not prepared! I didn't think I'd win! I'd like to thank the Academy.....

    wait, it's not that award? Oh.

    Ok, after a lame attempt at humor, thanks for the Brillante award! I'm humbled and honored for the bloggy recognition!

    Also, tell the Manny and Friend that they did a pretty good job on the pumpkin patch! They were doing some pretty close weeding out there....are they getting mega paid, or are they in trouble???? :) just kidding. but it looks great from my kitchen window! (Not as good as A.M. does playing basketball, but hey, it's something)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You deserve every award you get!

    Down here we have sponsored crabs instead of cows lining the street in Little Washington...

    Happy Anniversary a tad late.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.