Thursday, September 11, 2008

The bloomin' view

According to the calendar, it's the end of summer. Fall doesn't officially start until the 22nd--and Green Girl has nothing to do with scarecrows, pumpkins or cinnamon-scented soy candles until that date. (She's big into denial right now, still waiting for the thermometer to hit 80 degrees so she can put her swimsuit on again.)

Let's enjoy the end of summer with a garden walk around the estate.

The giant sunflower--ready for harvest in another month.


I rather enjoy these unusual sunflowers. Their seeds are small and black.

A bee is working on this flower--he's moving too fast for the shot. I asked him to "be still," but he told me to buzz off.

I said NO PUMPKINS! Not yet, anyway...
Elderberries ready for picking.

I rather like the striped petals of this sunflower.

On the wild side there's goldenrod and New England Asters giving a free show...

and Snapdragons and cosmos for a more "cultivated crowd."
I cut back my delphiniums and they always come back--I'm fond of the bright blue ones.



And sedum, of course. Let's head back to the Main House for Claritin and Coffee.

13 comments:

  1. Ooooh, pretty! I think I need a sympathy dose of Claritin, but it was worth it. The blue delphinium are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty! You are so lucky to have that everyday.

    Summer ended a while ago here in Estonia. It will be below 0 Celcius tomorrow night :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! I really enjoyed my stroll through your garden!
    Lovely!
    And I'm with you. I walked into the grocery store yesterday and became overcome by the cinnamon brooms they had near the door. I love that scent, but not yet! It's not even mid Sept. yet! (Well it almost is, but I'm not rushing things!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how pretty! I love all those sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're right about holding onto summer a little bit longer, I think swimming is a step in the right direction. I haven't been swimming yet this summer, I think it directly impacts my desire for summer to stay, I'm going to have to see what I can do for the last few weeks. I hate to see the seasons change because it means I'm getting older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. claritin and coffee -- you and me, both! I love wildflowers. My brother thinks sunflowers are "evil."

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous flowers. love love love the sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! I love those burnt red sunflowers. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having a "DUH" moment over here. I'm looking at your sunflowers and thinking how very pretty they are, and wondering why I never planted any, since I live in KANSAS. sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's almost 100 degrees here today with choking humidity. Ugh...

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.