Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lookin' for some hot stuff

I'll open today with a head-scratcher: Yesterday while campaigning, Sarah Palin commented that she's "looking forward to debating Senator Joe Biden. I've never met him, but I've been listening to him talk since I was in 2nd grade." Her minions replied with raucous laughter (or maybe it was a laugh track playing, it's hard to tell with a radio broadcast).

Was it intended to be funny because she's so young? Or that he's so old? And if Joe Biden is so old, what does that make her running mate? What would people say if Joe Biden made a comment about Sarah Palin's age? My hunch tells me it would be viewed as sexist and patronizing. What do you think, readers?

***
A while ago Adrienne over at The Story Board tagged me--and if anyone's interested, consider yourself tagged (I hate to tag people 2 weeks in a row).


1. What are your nicknames?
Mama, Mom, Mommy, Mel
2. What game show and/or reality show would you like to be on? I dream of a road trip with Guy Fieri on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives--my favorite kind of food combined with a guy who looks like he'd be a good time.
3. What was the first movie you bought in VHS or DVD? Thelma & Louise, VHS, still have it.
4. What is your favorite scent? Lilacs in springtime.
5. If you had a million dollars that you could only spend on yourself, what would you do with it? Bring my family on a world tour--at least a year, maybe longer, visiting every continent, eating, experiencing, lingering and learning. If I had enough left over, I'd build a gazebo in the prairie.
6. What one place have you visited that you can't forget and want to go back to? I'd go back to England permanently if I could.
7. Do you trust easily? I give people the benefit of the doubt, but my eyes are wide open to a "type."
8. Do you think before you act, or act before you think? I used to act first, but now I think I think first (good grief! I think I think I think first...) probably because my life requires few quick decisions these days.
9. Is there anything that has made you unhappy these days? The idiots in Washington DC, the GOP & their loud mouthed lap dog with the rimless glasses, the end of summer, the new story hour librarian (more on her tomorrow), the lack of authentic assessment at my kids' school, my agent's inability to sell any of my books, soldiers sent to fight wars that never seem to end, the auto and oil industries, the new ad campaign by the corn industry telling people that corn syrup has nutritional value...sheesh I'm getting depressed.
10. Do you have a good body image? Generally, yes.
11. What is your favorite fruit? Apples, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries--all fruit is good.
12. What websites do you visit daily? BBC, most of the list to the right of this blog
13. What have you been seriously addicted to lately? Coffee, blogging, my new book and knitting
14. What kind of person do you think the person who tagged you is? So talented! Her drawings are amazing, she's obviously a dedicated mom and she seems like a ton of fun. I bet I'd get hoarse laughing and talking with her if we met--and I imagine I'd want to stay put.
15. What's the last song that got stuck in your head? It's Raining Men--it was on the stereo at karate class last night. Then it kind of morphed into thinking about The Fully Monty and how great that soundtrack is.
16. What's your favorite item of clothing? My Horny Toad yoga pants--so comfy they feel like I'm wearing nothing--with the advantage of preventing the backs of my thighs from sticking to the chair.
17. Do you think Rice Krispies are yummy? Yes.
18. What would you do if you saw $100 lying on the ground? Look around to see who dropped it.
19. What items could you not go without during the day? Coffee, a book to read, lip balm, NPR's Morning Edition.
20. What should you be doing right now? Getting ready to take the children to story hour at the library.

Reader, consider yourself tagged if you wish. I'm going to drag this Horny-Toad clad ass to story hour now. Ont un grand jour!

21 comments:

  1. At least we don't have to worry as much about SP as long as she says stupid things--or avoids the press entirely. We just need to keep letting out the rope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, what she said was inappropriate and uncalled for. I trust that Biden will act with more class and gravitas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe she meant he talks alot. :-) Have you seen the clip of him talking over Obama in front of a reporter? LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  4. She does have a mean spirited little edge to her, doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Raining Men does it to me EVERY TIME. I can tell I'll now be hearing it all day.

    And I DO think that Palin's "handlers" use a canned laugh track. Seriously. She's a stand-up comic, not a VP candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Letting out the rope. Yes, Jenn. Just enough so that they can hang themselves. It should be sinfully easy to look good on Thursday night. But we should be watchful just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was out of line. I can't wait to see the show on Thursday night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thelma and Louise is the only movie that I stomped and cheered it. The women in the theater went nuts-it was like a chick action flick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard that comment on the radio, and the laughter that greeted it; and it puzzled me, too. I had the same thought: how could she make fun of Biden's being old without dissing her own running mate?

    Mary Alice, "mean spirited" does not even begin to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got back from lunch where we were all ranting about those corn syrup ads. Un-frickin-believable. Also, Amen to all of the SP-related comments. Can't wait until Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think she was attempting to be funny. I really don't think it was a big deal either way.

    I think these four candidates are under the microscope at such an INSANE level that every move they make and every thing they say is taken, twisted, and turned to however the other side wants to use it. It is so annoying. They can't even be human anymore. They have to turn into these robots.
    Politics. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just played your meme - And oh how I wish we could sit down over a cup of coffee and talk politics face to face!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you hear that she is NOT doing a press conference EVER? Since 1972, all VP-candidates have done a press conference within 2 days of their nomination.

    She refuses (or they refuse to let her)

    ReplyDelete
  14. SP. Don't. Wanna. Go. There.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When the lines aren't written for her she utters the most inane comments. I can't see a young S.P. sitting around the T.V. watching C-Span. Unfortunately, people will continue to like her no matter how absurd she is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When we thought "England. Sensible. Good education system." Sean and I became so depressed we couldn't think. That's why we will probably be moving to the sunny South of Spain instead. Our sensible family members are aghast! But no. I couldn't do the England thing again. My sister absolutely loves living in England, though! It must be just one of those things...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the Palin rant. It sounds very similar to what I was grumbling to my husband while making supper this evening.

    Of course, I am absolutely looking forward to the debate. Biden will eat her alive. Bwah ha ha!

    Oh, and I found you through Susie (http://athomewithsusie.blogspot.com/) and I'm loving everything I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Mrs. Palin,

    Open mouth, insert foot.

    Sincerely,
    Saucy

    PS. Get new glasses or a new hairdo or something so I can get glasses and keep my hairdo. Thanks a million.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed reading your list... including #9. I could have gone on and on with that one but thought it best not to get started! And thanks for saying such nice things about me (I'm a little embarrassed!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whoo hoo... thanks for giving me something to write about today!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.