Friday, September 12, 2008

Just ducky until now

We built our house 6 years ago. Mr. T was 3 years old and I was "Great with Child." Mr. D and I never knew what kind of baby we were having--life has so few surprises these days, so we were game to wait until I pushed the baby out to exclaim delight over it's gender and then come up with a name. Besides, Mr. D and I already knew what kind of baby we were having: a gorgeous, talented, brilliant child because that baby would take after us, of course. (Plus we had proof that our gene pool was exceptional, we had Mr. T already!)

I picked out blue carpet and paint for Mr. T's room and gave it a retro baseball theme with help from the Company Kids catalog. For the play room I chose a cheerful bright yellow which looked fantastic against the blue carpet--a sunny room for children to play with trains and dolls, blocks and a toy kitchen set. The other bedroom had to be neutral for either gender--a soft green with pale sage green carpeting. Soothing enough for an infant, but I could add pink or blue down the road depending. I'd "decorate it" in October after we learned more about the kicker in my belly. (Ballerina? Punter? Oh the suspense!)

That left the bathroom. I fell madly in love with a slatey-navy tile for the floors and I was unreasonably attached to a yellow gingham shower curtain I'd purchased in our previous house. This shower curtain matched my old bathroom perfectly and it had taken several phone calls to track it down--I ended up finding it at a Marshall Fields in Chicago. So yellow and blue again--but what theme?

Why, rubber ducks!

I bought a duck toothbrush holder, duck towels, duck bathmat and painted these guys all over the walls. (Saucy and Nan, you may mock me, I know my artistic skills are pretty lame.) Whimsical and gender-neutral--the perfect look for tub-time!

Before I had a chance to dress up the green nursery I found myself "Great with Child" again--a veritable fertility goddess. I eschewed any decorating until the next child came along. Aaaaand another boy joined the party--which explains why the room is still pretty barren. No time for decorating in my house.

But now those ducks are too childish and Mr. G is no longer a "toddler," he's a "boy." This week I painted over the ducks (sob!). The new look is vintage baseball with a blue madras shower curtain and vintage tin signs and pennants. Masculine and timeless, unlike my ducks. In less than six years I'm "redecorating" a room--it doesn't even seem possible. I'm in some sort of time warp since my children were born...

21 comments:

  1. My mind simply cannot wrap itself around all the testosterone in your house. Then again, I'm sure you'd faint at all the pastels in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We learned our lesson with the first one--don't put too much work into a nursery--it stays one for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter is 14 and has gone thru 4 redecorations! We started with pink frills and now favor the Turkish prison aesthetic.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your duckies. The new Manly-Boy Bath sounds good. Post a picture...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I feel for you. It is interesting to me how my home decor has changed over the years as the kids get bigger. All the paint layers really tell a story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw...I can understand how you could be so attached to those ducks! That's a great theme for the boys' domain, though. I'll be redoing my boys' room in a few months - don't know if I'll paint - but due to space limitations we'll be moving the boys into bunkbeds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the mistake of painting murals in both kids rooms, and neither wants to part with them even though they've outgrown them. I like decorating more than re-decorating, so I don't force the issue!
    Cute ducks - at least you have pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore the ducks. My son has been collecting since he got his first rubber duck at the baby shower. We're remodeling his bathroom and he specifically requested ducks. Of course, his bedroom is all Spider Man (NYC skyline, removable stickers), but my six-year old still loves his duckies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just now realizing how fast it all goes with the kids. I can't even pick up my 4-year-old anymore. It's so bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No way! Your ducks are delicious. I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's only 1 girly room in my entire house. The downstairs 1/2 bath. And I keep thinking I need to change it, but the time and inspiration haven't come yet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We need a snap of that bath re-do, GG. Oh, the sadness of it all when the duckies have to go~

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the ducks too, but I bet the new bath is nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Redecorating, eh? Us too. The boys and I came home yesterday to find our kitchen torn out and spread all over the house. Looks like a bomb has hit the place! And sawdust everywhere! I am going to move in by Mum and Dad for the weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  15. my kids love ducks! even at six and ten....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, the time warp! It makes the years fly by. My daughter goes through redecorations because she is such an artistic sort. The son? Well, he's legally blind, so we're more concerned about function in his room.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find that the more boys join my house, the more feminine I tend toward decorating.
    But I should add, decorating is a term I use very loosely. Three boys = Can't have anything nice so why bother;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey there! I have a little something for ya at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have a rubber ducky bathroom! My oldest is 7... I wonder how long before I have to redecorate?

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.