Wednesday, September 3, 2008

This, That & The Other

The kitten? It died. There is no gentle way to break that news, but it turned out as I suspected--not as I'd hoped.

My sneakers? Are Simple. A very eco-friendly and long-wearing brand. I highly recommend you buy some next time you're in the market for new shoes.

My children? Woke up again today without requiring the use of a cattle prod. Mr. T was typically reticent about his first day of school while we walked home. He only spilled a few details when threatened with bodily harm. He seems glad that in math they just do it without any timed tests. In contrast, Mr. B was joyful and forthcoming about new friends! The kissing hand story! A party on the 100th day of school! (He did speak with exclamation points the whole time, no kidding.) It's pretty cool to get a second shot at the same year with a totally different personality. I never saw that coming--a happy surprise of motherhood.

My hand? Cramped up after the 462nd form I had to fill out and sign last night. And my fingertips got all puckered from swimming all afternoon. I know, whine a little more. While we swam I reviewed important points like the district's sexual harrassment policy (they're against it) and playground etiquette--it went a little like this: "Don't run in the halls!" Dunk Mr. T. "Don't hit, kick, bite, scratch or call names!" Toss Mr. G into the deep end. "No teasing people because they're a girl." Splash Mr. B. "Mom, can we tease people if they do something dumb?" Get out of pool and check handbook. "Yes! Yes you can! But you probably shouldn't."

Mr. D's fantasy football drafts? Going well--he's got 2 out of 4 done and I think he's happy with his picks. At least he's happy about how the first draft went.

Disney? We're going to the Magic Kingdom in October--I'm a Very Bad Parent, pulling my kids from school for a whole week in order to avoid hot weather and long lines. The trip is booked and now it's time to plan an itinerary--structured enough that we see everything we want to see in an efficient fashion, but loose enough that we can enjoy spontaneous moments like goofing around with a college kid dressed up like Tigger while we're standing in line for ice cream at Mrs. Potts' Cupboard. I'm optimistic that going with a group of boy children means skipping princess teas and Voyage of the Little Mermaid--leaving more time for Space Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean. Anyone go with only boy children? Advice? Comments? Insight?

Overnight caramel french toast? You definitely want to make this at your earliest convenience. I'd recommend it as highly as my sneakers.

1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C butter
2 T light corn syrup
12 slices bread
6 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 C milk
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 t salt

Combine sugar, butter & corn syrup in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Pour syrup mixture into a 9 X 13 baking dish. Place 6 pieces of bread on top of syrup mixture, top with remaining 6 pieces of bread.

Combine eggs, milk, vanilla & salt until blended. Pour egg mixture over bread slices. Cover & chill 8 hours or overnight. Bake uncovered at 350 for 40-45 min.

That's what I call "Good Eats!"

8 comments:

  1. Yum. You've got me drooling over French toast in the middle of the day. Darn you! And if I make it, I just might eat the whole thing!

    I'm sorry about the kitten. Poor thing.

    Your shoes are so cool. I love trashy things--or should I say recycled things. It feels so good when I know I've saved something from the landfill!
    Thanks for stopping by the blog party! You made my day even more Wonder-full!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read my comment and I said "thing" five times. Must be too much birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I have lots of thoughts about a trip to Disney, starting with HOW VERY COOL that you're taking the kids in October.

    When you go to Animal Kingdom, get there before the gates open. As soon as they do, one of you RACE AHEAD to the far end of the park to get your Fast Passes for the safari. Trust me, it's worth the extra effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter's roommate has worked for Disney as a "character." She loves it! I hope any characters you bump into are as enthustiastic as she is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with the safari advice. DOTR is the king of getting your butts out of bed and running in as soon as the gates open. (but wait until you're ready to leave to ride on the rafts, you will get soaked and you won't want wet underwear all day...I tell you this from experience--better yet, make sure you wear quick dry fabrics.)

    Actually our favorite is MGM (I think they changed the name, though). We love Rock 'n Rollercoaster. It's been awhile since we've had to play baseball down there, so I've missed a few of the new things, I think at Epcot.

    I kicked butt on the Buzz Lightyear ride. Zapped everybody.

    Disney with boys is definitely fun. Learn how to use fastpass efficiently and you'll have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Lucky Ducks! I want to go to the happiest place on earth, too!

    You will have tons of fun and you shouldn't feel one bit guilty for taking the kids out of school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did the same thing, only in early March, a few years ago. We had a blast.

    Blizzard Beach was a great mid-week break.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very behind on blogging but I'm sorry to hear about the kitten!

    I love Simple shoes, too!

    And Disney in October? I'm quite jealous! We are planning on going in May ~ the boys' first trip! I'm probably going to be more excited than them... They get out of school before Memorial Day so I'm hoping most kids will still be in class and it won't be super duper busy.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.