Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halycon Days


Little known Fun Fact about Green Girl: she can carve a mean pumpkin. (And a scared one, a happy one and an evil one.)


Team Testosterone has a long weekend due to a teachers' convention--and as they grow older having them home is FUN. Really, honestly FUN. I confess, Quality Time with them was overwhelming for me 3 years ago--they drove me crazy with their constant messing up the place, crying, eating, leaving crumbs and slobber everywhere and don't even get me started on the diaper changing. (Bet you're all glad I didn't start blogging until a year ago--oh the shitty tales I could've writ.) Their pudgy toddler cuteness did NOT always compensate for their destructive tendencies (plugged toilets, scribbled walls & cabinetry, stained carpets--I shudder at the memory).

But now. Now they sleep in a little and wake up happy. They tell me in clear English what they want to eat and clear their own spots. They immediately gravitate to their cars and trains, guns and blocks. I clean the kitchen and run laundry while they play SO nicely together. Granted I dodge dozens of Nerf projectiles and the volume is LOUD, but it's a joyful noise.

Instead of dreading the next 4 days of their company, we have big plans to roast pumpkin seeds and bake a pumpkin dessert. We've got supplies for craft projects (early Christmas gifts) and a stack of library books. We'll practice our karate forms, celebrate Halloween a few more times and build a giant train track. We'll put final touches on Mr. D's birthday gift and have a bonfire in the woods.

I once heard that ages 5-10 are the glorious years of childhood--so far they are utterly enjoyable. Truer words were never spoken.

15 comments:

  1. I am so with you on all of this. My girls have Monday and Tuesday off and I'm excited to have all that time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a fun weekend planned! I haven't even bought a pumpkin yet, but now I may get in the spirit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've talked me into buying a couple of pumpkins now...(I've been the Halloween grinch this year, and procrastinated).

    Sounds like a great weekend, and I agree that these years are the best. (Everyone taking care of their own bathroom business was a great start...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great weekend! I'm right there with enjoying my kids. Contrary to conventional wisdom, I am also enjoying thirteen and eleven despite the hormones. I'm not missing their sweet baby or adventurous toddler days because the current days are good ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy - in the blink of an eye *sob* they'll be gone. Trust me - I've seen them do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cool pumpkins!! And as much as I am in love with my baby, there are days I would give anything to know exactly what she wanted, know that she could eat without me having to wash the whole room and both of us, and just one day where there is no crying. You are a lucky mama :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite true....we are just begginnig a new phase...THE TEENAGE YEARS....the last words need to be accompanied with hammer house music and flashing lights!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm right there with you. I love this age -- my boys are six and ten. it seems just about perfect....

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is true. Though the adult years can be pretty enjoyable--though not in quite as intense way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pumpkins! I agree with you about that golden age of childhood. My son is 9, and he's so easy to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have often heard that the school age years are the promised land of parenting - the years between the toddler crazies and the teen up-all-night-worrying-about-where-they-are-and-whom-they're-with...

    You give me perspective as we are still in the throes of coloring in inappropriate places and constant whining and tantrum throwing. Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree! I always said it's not fair that the moment kids get cool and fun to be around, we have to send them to SCHOOL! Drat! Your pumpkins are a thing of amazingness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish you'd been MY mom~your boys are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll see your scared, happy, and mean pumpkins and raise you one spectacular Sarah Palin jack-o-lantern (courtesy of my teen son). Photos forthcoming on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have fallen behind on my blog reading but I'm glad I went back and read this post. It helps to know that there is a light at the end of the toddler tunnel. I totally agree that ages 5-10 are great... there's a reason I was an elementary school teacher. I look forward to the days where I can cook, craft, and play with my little man. Until then, I will focus on the cuteness factor hoping it's enough.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.