Monday, October 6, 2008

More blessings than banes

Holy road-trippers, fellow bloggers! Y'all have been there, seen that, all to some great tunes on the radio or 8-tracks. I know who to call if I ever get the urge to drive somewhere. I'd have great company on a journey to cheesey roadside attractions and national landmarks if I called any of you.

Helpful hint: holiday-themed stuff goes fast at a bake sale! Some of the moms whipped up ghost, bat and pumpkin cookies (frosted like you would not believe), Halloween cupcakes and the best seller: giant pretzel sticks with candy molded mummies at one end. They were GONE within 20 minutes. A lot of generous moms made some yummy treats to support our PTA--participation is at an all-time high which is such a relief.

Our company came, retrieved their tickets to watch the Packers lose, and enjoyed jambalaya and corn bread (made in the nick of time). Mr. D comes from good people, his Iowa hometown is filled with friendly folks always welcome on my doorstep.

Mr. T survived his first Campboree with the Scouts and is 100% head-over-heels in love with Scouting. Camping, fire making, rocket shooting--he did a lot of neat stuff and came home overflowing with stories about it. I herded him straight into a hot tub so he could relax and wash up before Sunday morning church. Within seconds his brothers were stripped naked and climbing in the tub with him, eager to hear all about his experiences. Miss him much? It thrills me how they adore each other. And despite the fun he had camping, Mr. T was very grateful to be back home in his warm bed last night with Mr. G on the bunk above and Mr. B across the hall. No place like home.

Now a nasty cold has taken up residence in my head. The combination of Claritin and orange juice brought down my bowling average 2 pins yesterday afternoon and how I can be so dried out yet still produce mucus I'll never know. Hopefully I can unclog ad uncloud myself enough to come up with something witty (or at least cohesive) to say at tonight's staff meeting when I represent the PTA to the teachers. Would this offend?

"The PTA is here to help you achieve your goals so No Child is Left Behind. God love you for your good work, you are hard-working decent folks who deserve a break. As PTA president I'll work hard for you because I can see this school right through my kitchen window."

I'll leave you with Mr. B's prayer from the other night before he went to bed. In Sunday school they've been studying the 10 commandments and this last week we focused on honoring our families.

Dear God, I'm really sorry I broke my promise to you and didn't obey my mom today. I understand if you want to kill me. (long pause) But please just make me really sick instead.

16 comments:

  1. How did you react to Mr. B's prayer? I personally reacted by laughing so hard that I snorted orange juice through my nose.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a "ray of light" on this gloomy and rainy day in Wis. The PTA is sooo lucky that you are their leader. I like those cute stories from the boys..fear is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm sure the teachers will respond "God bless the PTA".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard the PTA fundraiser went well on Saturday. I wish I could have come, but wasn't in the cards. Will you be having another one or is it a once a year thing? I will hopefully definitely be there next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just spit coffee all over my screen when I read Mr. B's prayer!
    Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a literal prayer...now that's faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your PTA speech forgot 2 things. You have to remind them that you're a Boy Scout Mom and a Maverick!

    I'm happy that you seem to be getting support from the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three boys that get along - that's awesome!
    I loved the prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine what would possibly offend. I'm sure they'll love you.

    Make sure you wink a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Mr. B's lips to Gods ear I say...Don't worry God does have a grand sense of humor.
    Example? One nostril clogging at a time. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brotherly love, so sweet! I have cute pictures of the boys sleeping in one bed, along with a few cousins, and they are snuggled up like puppies. I wonder if girls do that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I'm not saying "What was I thinking?!" when I look at my three boys, I am saying "I hope they will always be as good friends as they are right now."

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a cold, too? Is it epidemic? I just drank my second cup of tea (with local honey) and that was after two servings of chicken rice soup. I'm either going to get better or pee all night. or both.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Out of the mouths of babes come waaay better material than anyone could possibly make up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, that little prayer is so sweet. Hope your meeting went well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That prayer is a gas.

    Feel better!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.