Sunday, November 16, 2008

Black Cow Shakes & Bellyaches

The A&W experience was all I hoped for--crispy onion rings (that Team Testosterone ate half of), a divine cheeseburger and a Black Cow! All the great tastes of memory were there--we even ate in the Momvan using the drive up service (complete with orange tray hitched onto my driver's side window). The boys declared A&W their new favorite restaurant ever. I envisioned the girth of my waistline and the jiggle in my thighs while we drove home. Could I indulge in A&W goodness every week? You betcha.

Half an hour later we were working in the back yard when the first rumble hit. My gut still feels like I ate 4 pounds of lard. I'm full and slightly queasy from a regular cheeseburger, 4 onion rings and a small Black Cow. Fast food simply does not agree with me. Looks like temptation won't be so hard to resist after all. C'est la vie.

Day 9 of my 29-Day Giving Challenge: Gave a pretty little tribute at a 40th Anniversary party for my dear friends A & D last night. Despite loathing public speaking, I sucked it up and took the mike in hand, telling a dining room full of people how A & D have touched my life and the lives of my children and the students I taught. On occasions like that, my personal discomfort is secondary to A & D's memory of the event. Must remember to write thank you note to high school speech teacher for coaching me on Improv.

For the record, Team Testosterone behaved like perfect gentlemen, sitting at the bar sipping Kiddie Cocktails and using all three of their forks at dinner.

14 comments:

  1. Fast food is one of those things I can do only a couple of times a year and even then I only eat small amounts or else I'll feel ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is a bummer when something you were so looking forward to eating, bites you back. The 40th party sounds very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed with your kids and your speech. Your off-the-cuff is probably better than most prepared bits, and it was a lovely gift.

    A&W is NOT near me, but oh, I do remember those burgers and o-rings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had Mcdonalds last week and I'm still paying for it. ;-b

    But ack - it was delicious at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love a&w drive-up. haven't been there in years...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, I ate at Burger King a couple of weeks ago, and paid for it royally the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We no longer have the iron stomachs of our youth that's for sure!

    I'm glad your boys did you proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bane of my belly are the cheddar poppers at Sonic. I can't resist them, no matter what the cost later.

    Congrats on TT behaving themselves. Forget the speech, that is the true merit of a successful night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I regret it every time I give in to a cheeseburger craving. They are getting pretty easy to resist.

    So cool that your guys got to practice good table manners - even grownups get confused by the fork thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boys who know about "restaurant manners" are my favorites. And friends who make speeches, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blech, I hear you. In a moment of weakness we stopped at McDonalds on the way out of town yesterday. I can still feel the effects of the salt and grease!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you got to indulge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Growing up in Wisconsin, the A&W was "it" for us in the summer - and it closed for the winter - so that made it all more special. Tuesday was "coney day" and they were 3/$1. All the lifeguards placed their order, a runner would go get it with a gallon jug of Root Beer, and that was a summer Tuesday in Sparta. And I could eat 3 of them back then and still wear a swimsuit all day. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know, I know. I can't even eat a french fry because it immediately turns into a lump of crisco. . .

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.