Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Jigsaw Puzzles & Jess Riley

I was voter number 604 at 9:30 this morning (normally I'm number 49, once 84 in a good year) and for the first time in 6 years of living in this town, I saw the line of voters stretch out the door. Mr. G made sure we all got stickers saying that we voted.

The Bumble Book Club read Driving Sideways by Jess Riley for our November meeting. SHE WILL BE AT OUR BOOK CLUB MEETING! Will there be pictures? Yes. Will we foolishly swoon? Yes. Will we gush? Yes. Will we ask loads of questions? Yes yes yes.

Last Wednesday Mr. B pulled this little doozy out of a cupboard--I bought it for $5 at a sidewalk sale last summer. I have a small obsessive problem with puzzles. I can sit for hours at a jigsaw puzzle--I could waste days doing them. It's almost embarrassing how compelling I find them. As you can see, I've reached the most frustrating point--all the remaining pieces are the same color. I'm trying to limit my puzzle time to occasional increments until it's finished. To my credit, I do draw the line at glueing the finished puzzle into a picture frame to display. I'm not that much of a dweeb.

It's 70 degrees again today--I cannot recall ever wearing short sleeves in November. It makes shucking sunflower seeds in the garage a very pleasant task. A baby garter snake slithered in to check out the action. He was so cute, only 6 inches long. Do snakes hatch out in late summer/early fall?

I'm going to have to make Rice Krispie treats now...imagine that!

12 comments:

  1. I love doing those 3D puzzles of famous buildings. Yes, I am that geeky.

    I made rice krispy treats last night and took them over to the new house today, where they lasted about five minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This weather is divine. I'm afraid it'll be the last day I can open a window and not risk frost bite. Sniff sniff

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you doing?! Don't you know I have a terrible puzzle addiction! Get thee behind me, Green Girl! I must not give in to the temptation lurking in my puzzle closet!

    Yey voting!
    Now we just cross our fingers!
    (And maybe eat Rice Krispy treats!)
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ... I love jigsaw puzzles, too. I would go buy one except that I'm trying to, you know, be social. So! Tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm... puzzles,rice crispies, civic duty, AND 70 degrees. What an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Growing up, puzzles were a winter activity with pieces left out on the kitchen table for days until the project was complete. My mom would lay one of those plastic table cloths over it to protect it while we ate dinner. Made for slow mornings - putting in a few pieces while we are our cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for voting! And I love puzzles, too. I just don't have enough room for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm SOOO excited for book club! it will be awesome! I'm trying to think of what to wear (like it matters....) but I want to look smart witout being odd.....I guess this makes me odd, though, doesn't it? Oh well!

    Hooray for election day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i loved seeing so many people at the polls this morning. it's about time! hopefully we can all keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love puzzles...yesterday, I almost started a 1000 piece puzzle, but stopped myself.

    Haven't read that book yet, but have heard good things. Sounds like you'll have a great night with the author!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 70 degrees?!!??? I am imagining feeling the sun on my back, mmmmm!

    ****** cold here, and has been all year...I'm moving to Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.