Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Mishmash

I just read they're cancelling Pushing Daisies and I've decided to make it official: No new TV shows for this girl. At all. Ever. I'm tired of the heartbreak. I get sucked in, begin caring about the characters, wonder about the next episode, plan my schedule around when a show will air and BAM! Network executives take an axe to the show I've begun to enjoy and there I sit with nothing to watch.

I remember the hype--the commercials, the anticipation, the magazine articles before each show that I loved. And then after the first season, before the audience had a chance to build, they were gone. Quoth the Neilson: Nevermore.

As TV becomes a wasteland of reality shows and CSI spin offs, I won't be tuning in. When they cancel the 5 shows I still watch and there's nothing left for me besides the Food Network and PBS Kids, I'll be watching movies.

***
I won! Kalurah from While They Play gave away gift certificates to her Etsy shop and I won! You have to go to her blog and watch the video of her adorable sons drawing names. That was as sweet as winning.

***
I bought a new kind of yogurt at our local "organic" grocery store--I noted that it was made from goat's milk, but it it was produced an hour away and had a very sweet label. Maybe it would taste rich and creamy, like the cheese that Heidi's grandfather gave her to eat when she climbed up the mountain to live with him?

No. It tasted foul. I threw it away.

***
We're nearly packed and ready to roll out of here at noon for the Land of Corn and Hogs--yes, I'm talking about Mr. D's family (hahahaha). The Pecan Pumpkin Dessert is boxed and chilling, my hostess gift is wrapped, my inhaler duly puffed upon and my children buffed and shined so they look pretty. Presentable, anyway.

***
Day 20 of my 29-Day Giving Challenge: Gave a load of encouragement and my best tips to a karate student sparring for the first time last night. That first time out can be very discouraging, so I did my best to boost her confidence.

19 comments:

  1. I know! About the tv shows. My husband and I call ourselves "tv show kiss of death" because whatever show we love, gets pulled. It was Arrested Developement now Eli Stone. I tell ya.

    Have a great Holiday weekend and a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to get up so early, that I never stay up to watch the good shows anyway. My sister, who can stay up because she can get up at a decent time... like 7...was hooked on Brothers and Sisters. She loved it because their family reminded her in some sick way of our own giant California family....except we have less money. Anyway, she kept telling me I had to stay up to watch it. Finally she started getting me the previous seasons episodes on DVD for Christmas gifts. Now I can watch them when I have a moment and I agree...there are some disturbing family similarities.

    Good luck with your new resolution! And I'm super sorry about the let down with the goat milk yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip.

    No time for TV here--if it's really good you can rent the DVD and watch it all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two or three years ago, we decided to try a few new TV shows, based on recommendations in the Washington Post. One was canceled after four episodes. Another was moved from slot to slot and we never found out what happened to it. It was so frustrating that we gave up on network TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so bummed they canceled "Pushing Daisies." I suppose they'll replace it with CSI Honolulu or another dense reality show like "Drinking with the Stars."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Backed up on reading: I LOVE IKEA and detour from riding home from Lauren's just to go there, make it my walk-around pit stop. The best, cheapest housewares.
    Love that you gave the new girl on the karate block encouragement. You're a pro, GG!
    Enjoy cornland and Thanksgiving~you're thankful they don't live closer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pecan Pumpkin dessert sounds heavenly. And packing the inhaler? always! do they live on a farm or ust in the country? I have to pack mine for any home that has cats or dogs. My brother has three -- cats, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sad to admit that I got hooked on Lost for a while, but gave it up after they kept killing off my favorite characters.

    Nowadays when I can I tune in to the 8pm showing of the Daily Show-just to end the day with a laugh. :)

    Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm disappointed to hear about the yogurt. I love goat cheese - and was hoping that it would be similar (well, not like cheese, but y'know, somehow more interesting than regular yogurt.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, sorry about the yogurt!
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving to you and the Team!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Regular yogurt is tough enough, but goat milk yogurt! NO.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sad about Pushing Daisies, too! Makes me mad.

    Good job on the gift challenge. It reminds me that I need to update mine and follow through. I'm a good starter and slow finisher.

    I have never won a blog contest, but I keep trying! Congratulations. That looks like a fun one to win.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You won a contest! I never win anything. Ever. Hope the rest of your Thanksgiving Holiday is as lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When i get hooked on a show it always comes to an end.

    Well done for boosting your students confidence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hear ya on the shows... My biggest disappointments have been Studio 60 and Scrubs.

    Also, loved your thanksgiving post but couldn't find it when i went to comment... Happy (belated) Turkey Day anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awful, awful, awful disappointment about Pushing Daisies :( :(

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.