Thursday, November 6, 2008

Snapdragons!


November 6--Snapdragons in full bloom

I first bought the snapdragons when we lived in our "starter house"--a twee little yellow house on a quiet street in a small town 10 minutes from where I live now. The snapdragons were in a 6-pack from the greenhouse up the street. I used to walk there, pulling Mr. T in his red wagon and loading the plants up around him each spring.

When we built our new house 6 years ago, I divided and pulled half of my old gardens in hopes of having a kick-start for my new. My original Sedum, Catmint, Bee Balm, Asters, Mint, Thyme, Lavender, Coneflowers, Black-Eyed Susans, Hostas and the snapdragons got transplanted into a mound of dirt and survived a long, hot, dry summer until our house was done and our yard was leveled out. Once replanted (again), I babied these plants along and the following year began putting them where they'd root and grow for years to come.



These snapdragons, begotten from their kin bought at Reynebeau Floral so many years ago, reseed themselves and spread across a small flower bed alongside the front porch. Each spring I dig some up and put them in planters on our back patio where they've done really well. What amazes me is where they do best.

They've reseeded and thrive in the crack between our back patio and the walls of our house. Odd? Yes. Unepxected? Absolutely. And I love them even more for it!

They're like the Godzilla of Flowers!

Tune in tomorrow for the Bumble Book Club report featuring our guest Jess Riley!

11 comments:

  1. Amazing! Snapdragons are one of my favorites--you've got to love a hearty plant that's gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so pretty there! I didn't know snapdragons were that tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful, albeit strange, little flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite flowers. Your gardening juju is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alas, I have not had good luck with Snapdragons. Yours are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love snapdragons! They've always been a favorite of mine since I was little. And now that you mention it, I've never seen them growing in a garden. Only in sidewalk cracks and on the sides of houses. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are very hardy flowers! Isn't this weather weird? I can't even wear my "I know all the answers" sweatshirt for the November testing; it's too warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anything that looks so pretty and can come up in such a surprising place deserves to stay there. I think they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty. I look forward to planting my garden next spring. Right now I'm still trying to get the indoors organized!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So awesome and amazing!!!! In the snow too?? I had snapdragons once. They didn't last more than a year for me...

    I think Jenn has it right. You have gardening juju.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No way. Snapdragons are a perennial for you? I don't know what part of WI you're in, actually, as this is my first visit here (hi!), but they're strictly an annual here in Duluth.

    I YUV snapdragons, so I am envious.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.