Monday, December 15, 2008

a charming moment

You know how it can get so cold outside that it burns? That's today. The wind has whipped across our fair state since last night and the freeze factor zaps your skin of moisture within seconds. Naturally we're fresh out of milk and other Important Foodstuffs, so Mr. B and I made the run to town. No one else was there and we made it through the store and checkout in a half hour. Mr. B dumped extra money in the bell-ringer's bucket. (that's dedication! To stand outside ringing a bell in such weather!) Our next stop was the post office.

I've been a huge fan of old men since my bartending days when they'd sit across from me and talk fishing, politics and football while nursing a tap beer or a whiskey-soda. There's a certain elegance to some old men (James Stewart springs to mind), a polish and manners. Others have a dundering quality, but such kindness and sparkle to their personality that their physical awkwardness doesn't matter (Walter Matthau). Today's old man was short with a huge nose, thick glasses and he was bundled up to his chin in a plaid flannel coat, topped off with a cap with floppy earflaps. We stood beside each other waiting our turn and I smiled at him.

"You know, I've heard it's best to tell jokes while you're standing in line waiting with someone."

"Really? Hmmm, let me think...I don't know that many jokes." I cast around and came up with something not beginning with "knock-knock." "What's brown and sticky?"

"Candy?"

"No. A stick."

"Good one. What did one strawberry say to the other strawberry?"

"I don't know. What?"

"If you weren't so sweet we wouldn't be in this jam."

Then it was my turn at the counter.

20 comments:

  1. It's better than having an angry old man in line with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you have little kids in the house so you're up on the latest knock-knock jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that guy! (Are you sure it wasn't my Grandpa?)

    My daughter told a good one yesterday (control your expectations... she's 3).

    "How does a bee say honey?"

    "I don't know. How?"

    Bzzzzzzzz

    ;) - MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to be old so I can be charming with women without fear of getting maced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww. I love that.
    What is it about little old men that seems so much sweeter than little old ladies? I don't know why, it just seems that way. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a huge fan too. So much to learn from them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, did you just want to pinch his cheeks, or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last joke was great! I have to remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just showed my son Chas your snow pictures, and he can't believe it. I worked in a retirement home in England once, and was surrounded by charming old men who gave me chocolate. I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Tis the season to repeat the same jokes.
    Why does Santa have three gardens?
    So he can hoe, hoe, hoe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so sweet and tenderhearted! I am fond of old people in general, I feel an obligation to smile always as if I am going to brighten their day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Grandpa used to always have a new joke to tell. Kinda like a walking book of comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is very sweet.

    When I waited tables, I always spared a few extra moments for the older men who came to eat alone. You always hear a few good stories that way and I like to think I made their lives a little less lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just reading your last few posts... I'm a bit behind. I saw your comment about Madonna. My daughter and several girl friends left their husbands behind and went to see Madonna in concert in Atlantic City a few weeks ago. They said she was fantastic and just hasn't aged since they had seen her 5 years ago.

    I love your new header... really attractive!!

    I didn't brave our bitter weather today... had a jammie day and worked on Christmas things all day. My husband was out all day running errands. A sweet fool!
    ~Green Bay Joni

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sure your son also got a hearty chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It probably made his day too. Some how when I'm bartending I just hear dirty jokes. No matter how old the guy is telling them to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! I *heart* your post office boyfriend. That made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1.Little old men rock (unless they smell)
    2.You CAN have the lush greenery next year: drag the 4-wheeler into the woods and cut your own, then make Team Testosterone help you with it.
    3.You just started a new fashion craze: belted Christmas trees. Go with it.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.