Thursday, December 18, 2008

explosion of the pink panther

Living in the Frozen Tundra requires a fair amount of winterizing. Storm windows get replaced, drafts get sealed, propane gets delivered to the tank. Everything runs smooth, except this year our main door is super drafty. It requires major surgery and professional help--maybe even OT and psychoanalysis. Until spring when we can get it repaired and order replacement parts (we're talking the equivalent of implants, tummy tuck and lipsuction), we're making do with what I can find in the local hardware store: some foam sealant and weather stripping. Rather like putting a girdle, a wonder bra and some make up on our patient until we can get the real work done.

Pulling out my can of Pink Panther pink foam sealant, I filled the gaps letting the Arctic air through and when finished, read the label for storage instructions:
12. To store, leave trigger and tube on can and place in an upright position. To re-use cut off one inch of tip. Use remaining product within 30 days.


Following Owens Corning's instructions, I left the trigger and tube on and placed the can on the top shelf of a closet until I could finish insulating later.

The next day I opened the closet door and found this:




My kids are delighted. Meanwhile, the door is still drafty and I have what appears to be a bubble gum sculpture.

26 comments:

  1. That is really funny--I'm sure the kids got a big kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waste of product aside; it does look pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful. It reminds me of the time Tanner the Slobber Dog ate a tub of spackling paste, and threw it up in the shape of a rabbit.
    We didn't save it. Will you save yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least it looks cool. My girls would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any birthday parties coming up in the near future? It could be a cool table centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Now, if you can just do another one and cut off the bubbles, you'll have some unforgettable Christmas earrings! ;)

    We insulated our 100 year-old house last year with blown-in cellulose, so I know what it's like to have those drafts you MUST stop! This year, though, we're feeling awfully toasty! (Good thing too, we're getting hit with ice this afternoon. Blech.)

    :) -MM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bwahahahaha!! That's awesome!

    I bet they'd send you a coupon for a new can if you emailed them that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should see the rest of my secret boyfriend list.....George Stephanopolis and Charlie Gibson, both of ABC news. SOmething about history spouting men does it for me.

    Maybe you could make that pink blob into a lawn sculpture??? It would look great in your front garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep picturing pink blobs of this stuff coming out of your front door. Why is it pink???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should hang ornaments off of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm delighted, too! I nearly squealed and clapped at the sight of it.

    (Is your house as FREEZING as mine? I feel like I live in a tent made of Kleenex!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Since a snow day to us is less than 1 inch of snow, I've never seen this before. But it is pretty darn cool looking as an explosion!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL!! I know, it's wasteful, but it sure looks funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh. Oh, that is just too funny. Delightful even, but that is probably because it is not my can of pink foamy bubbles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm. That doesn't look right. Hahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How creative! I'm good at sealing doors for winter; you should hire me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that shape... too cool! And the pinkness! Veto used that stuff around our new patio doors this week but it was yellow (boo) and pink would be so much more, well, Saucy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're an artist - and that bubble gum sculpture could probably make you a million ;p

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha - that's art darling!
    Take it to a poncy gallery .... You'll make an absolute fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  20. No wonder the kids were delighted! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My kids would have loved that, too! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This made me laugh out loud. I think you should use this as your Christmas tree topper.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I meant to comment on this days ago - This is the coolest explosion accident I've ever seen! I love the pearlescent pink color and the voluptuous shape.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.