Wednesday, December 31, 2008

fuddy-duddy

I can tell the economy is soft--we've had 3 babysitters call and offer up their services for tonight. Things must be tough if the teen set prefers a night working to a night out. We're a lame bunch at my house--after 6 years of tending bar, the last place I want to go is "out" on New Year's Eve. Truly, people, it's amateur night and it is ugly out there. Then for many years we've been on the road to celebrate Christmas with Mr. D's family in Iowa (the arrangement is they get the weekend after Christmas), so we don't have any standing tradition. This year we're renting a family movie and grilling steaks. Alone. Just the five of us. Mr. G will fall asleep before the halfway point of whatever we rent. The rest of us will go to bed by ten and the only way I'll see midnight to "greet in the New Year" will be if I have to get up and pee. No noisemakers, no case of cheap champagne, no watching Dick Clark count down to midnight, no parade of memories across the TV screen, no kissing.

"Looking back" is something I'm loath to do--I prefer to leave my past behind me, but 2008 treated me pretty darn well. Saying goodbye to one year always leaves me nostalgic for a moment, and I'm not terribly excited about entering a new year since it takes me 5 weeks to remember how to write the correct date on a check.

When I was young I'd listen to Casey Kasem count down the top hits of the previous year on my Panasonic boom box. Would Madonna or Prince have the number one hit? I'd wish to fast forward through REO Speedwagon and Rick Springfield (in spots 22 and 23) so I could find out. In a good year I'd get to have a friend sleep over and we'd lie in sleeping bags on either side of the radio, anxious to know what song was most popular. I'd think about older people who had the freedom of car keys and money--they were certainly out on New Year's Eve celebrating in style. My fantasy was to wear a slinky dress (yes, I was influenced by disco) and high heels, feather back my hair and spend New Year's Eve at a club dancing and drinking something sparkley in a stemmed glass, and of course kissing someone handsome when the clock began to chime. (A clock that loomed over the dance floor and disco ball.) Gah! The idea now horrifies me! High heels? Staying out late?

I guess I wanted to spend New Year's Eve as Donna Summer when I was young. Now I'm all grown up and I want to spend New Year's Eve like Edith Bunker. I hope your New Year's Eve is great, no matter how you choose to spend it.

25 comments:

  1. Totally with you on the concerns re: amateur night. That's the reason we have also traditionally stayed in despite those girlhood dreams of a Dancing With The Starsesque New Year's Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We try to be back in the neighborhood by 9 as the other drivers scare the bejesus out of us. Then the only way I can stay up until midnight is if we head over to a neighbor's house. Otherwise I'm snoozing on the couch. Geez I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are staying at home, too. I agree after so many years of working in a bar, it's the last place I want to be on New Year's Eve.

    Happy New Year to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year I took a 3 hour nap after working until 8pm. Then we went for a midnight walk and watched the neighbor's fireworks.

    Maybe the same this year...without having to work all day!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "the only way I'll see midnight to 'greet in the New Year' will be if I have to get up and pee."...snort!

    Happiest of New Years to you Green Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're going to the First Night festivities in our town this afternoon, but will be home early in the evening. Then, we'll put on our PJ's and watch a DVD together. ("Kung Fu Panda" is the leading contender.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thought of going out and wearing high heels horrifies me too. Especially since I have to do it next weekend.

    Normally we celebrate with our best friends/best family, but they are in Denmark. On the agenda tonight is using drugstore hair dye to color the hair of some 14 year old cheerleaders and wringing my hands over the fact that my son and I disagreed over how much water he should take to go camping in the Anza-Borrego desert overnight. He took a case of water bottles, I would have preferred him to tow a water truck. My husband says he'll be fine.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. I saw the wavemaster picture. Now I am so creeped out about what you do with it. Like, how big is it? Enquiring.Minds.Must.Know.Now!

    2. I only have an acre and a quarter but I pretend it is sixty ares. Especially when I "walk the land" because In My Head I am really racking up the miles.

    3. That is so cool that you have a husband that can make it through the previews of a movie. Mine is out when it shows the green screen that says it is "Rated G for General Audiances."

    4. Thanks for sending that guy Guido to take care of that hit I ordered. I've got your back, you just don't know when ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, goodness. We were totally separated at birth. Casey Kasem? Check. Desire for a slinky dress and expertly feathered hair? Check. Inability to write the correct year on a check until about May? Check, check, check.

    Happy new year, my friend. May it bring wonderful joy to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We, too, this year are staying home...Farmer has stomach flu. :( However, our plans weren't too thrilling...a X-mas party with my school department. WOOHOO!

    But I still harbor the dream of wearing a slinky dress and drinking fine cocktails....when we did go out in our "youth", it was all nighters at the Local Bars in CowTown....what a thrill. Cheap beer and Wop.

    At least you get steak....we're having dry toast and 7-Up over here.

    Happy New Year! We'll wave to you when we get up to pee at midnight too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was always a Tom-boy so no high heels for me. I'd rather go play tennis (when I was young) and now I'll be cuddling up on the couch watching a movie, with a margarita and my man ;)

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love the "Top 100 countdown" every year... REO Speedwagon! The Go-Go's. Andy Freakin' Gibb! They don't do that anymore.

    Loopy and I stayed glued to the TV for glimpses of her beloved Jonas Brothers on Dick Clark's New Year's Rcokin' Eve.

    Happy New Year to you! Stay warm - and green.

    ReplyDelete
  13. we had a nice new year's eve. dave (6) fell asleep at 9:30, i managed to stay up until 12:15, with jimmy (10) and my husband. jimmy was drunk with exhaustion and totally hilarious. i could barely keep my eyes open...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Edith Bunker? Only if I don't have to tolerate Archie. He reminds me too much of my FIL.
    We went to the GB Gamblers Hockey game; home by 9:30, before any of the crazies got drunk and hit the road.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year! I used to watch Casey Kassem too, and felt like such a loser for not being "out" somewhere. Last night, my girls got a babysitting gig, and we went to a party at our next-door neighbors'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You too - Have a wonderful 2009.

    Our tradition on NYE is to head up to the Pistons game after a pig-out (er, brunch) - and we're usually home by 7 or so. Then, it's snacks, television and bed. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. 3 people called YOU? Wow!

    and I don't think I've ever been to a New Year's Eve party. although it sounds kinda fun. ;)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our plan was a lot like yours - a family movie in PJ's - but I was forced to be a good sport and stay up til midnight.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. And...I've tagged you! If you're interested, it'll be up tomorrow, Friday 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think (and I had to think hard) that it's been 11 years since I went out on New Year's Eve. The idea of having to dress up and go out that night...not for me anymore.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the only way I'll see midnight to 'greet in the New Year' will be if I have to get up and pee."...

    ROFL I thought my best friend might end up that way too, but she did well :)

    I miss Casey Kasem! Ol' Dick didn't look so hot the other night I have to say. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope your New Year is everything you want it to be!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're so funny. I just got back from the beach (and am just now able to catch up on my blogs) where I spent New Year's Eve - and Day - in my pajamas reading, playing cards and watching movies and bowl games. After years of waitressing I too have noooo desire to be out on that night either. Hope your holidays were great.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.