Monday, December 1, 2008

Raw nose, sore throat

The head cold struck. Mr. T is asleep upstairs voluntarily after I called him in sick today. I'm miserable on the couch next to a box of tissues. Mr. B is starting to sniffle. Christmas is 24 days away and I'm feeling horrible and inadequate. Why do I think I'm to get all the work done in a single day? It's unrealistic and I know that, yet here I am looking outside at the snow drifts and worrying about Christmas card orders and getting other holiday-related errands run.

We've a tree--trimmed and sturdy enough NOT to crash over. My house is dusted and decorated (as much as I'm willing to decorate). My Etsy orders are done as of last night and I've got only a couple online purchases to complete. I even made some caramel corn. But there is looms--the 25th of December. Goading me. Challenging me. Making me feel like I have to be busy, busy, busy. But I haven't the energy to drag my tail off the couch, let alone drive the Momvan around town.

Doesn't this inspire you to head over to Eco Women: Protectors of the Planet to read what holiday decorating tips I wrote up? Actually, we'll have great holiday stuff all week, so be sure to drop by.

Coming tomorrow: I'm giving away books & other goodies!

20 comments:

  1. Feel better soon!
    Hopefully this means you won't be sick over the holiday break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon. Odds are it will be gone next week and you'll still have 3 weeks to get stuff done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw. Hope you feel better soon. The baby and I have been sick 3 times already since winter started. And it seems like everybody in blogland is too. *warm wishes*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a cold to bog you down. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing, the pressure we put on ourselves at this time of the year. Take it easy if you can. Caramel corn is more than enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is it about December that hits women like a kick in the gut?

    Hang tough, sister.

    Hope Mr. T. feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you made a pot of chicken soup yet?

    Don't put pressure on yourself for the holidays. Stay strong girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the perfect recipe.

    1 lb sweet potatoes (peeled, cut into 1" chunks)
    1 can (15 oz) black beans
    1 small onion, sliced
    1 can (14 oz) vegetable stock
    1 bag (2 cups)frozen green beans
    2 tsps Jamaican jerk seasoning
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves

    Combine sweet potatoes, beans, broth, onion, jerk seasoning, thyme, salt and cinnamon in slow cooker.

    Cover, cook on LOW 5-6 hours.

    (Don't use cheap jerk seasoning, see if you can find Walker's Wood)

    This stuff will clean out your nasal passages really fast. Have lots of bread (or milk) nearby.

    WARNING: Not for the faint-hearted.

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm gonna go try Ree's recipe listed above. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems like we've all had the same cold. Must be a computer virus, har har! Hope Mr. T and the rest of the gang feel better and stay well... Nothing worse than having a cold, except for if your family has it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bah, terrible time of year to be sick. Tell Mr. D. to fix you a Hot Toddy, STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hang in there. Didn't Mary Alice's advent post say this week is hope?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two couch days will a better momma make for the holidays. You are always so organized.

    Our Grands love the train museum in Minneapolis, too!

    Hope you feel better soon. Get Mr. D to make you some hot tea with honey and lemon tonight~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't even think about Christmas until December 10 when finals are over. Luckily, my husband now does the majority of the gift-shopping.

    I hope you feel better soon--why don't we ever get sick when we have time for it?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sound like you are a lot further along than I am. I always wait til the last minute, though, so I'm used to myself.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You poor thing! I hope you feel better soon! I recommend fudge. It might not make your cold go away, but a little chocolate does wonders for the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If it makes you feel better, you are way ahead of me on the Christmas preparations!
    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you feel better soon!
    have a great day..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sick too. But at work. And when I get home. Nothing (I mean nothing) gets done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My wife makes wonderful caramel corn for Christmas, too!

    Hope you all feel much better real soon!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.