Wednesday, January 7, 2009

segues

My kids have watched Kung Fu Panda over a dozen times and I'm still not sick of it. I'm hoping to memorize Jack Black's opening monologue soon...and speaking of kung fu, somehow I've twisted and bruised up my right knee--my old "trick knee" that had surgery years ago. IWas it when I was trudging through the icy-covered field to retrieve the boys from school Monday? I'm icing it down and trying to think of how I wounded it--and how to make it better by tonight's karate class which will probably be sparring. I can barely throw a kick right now on that leg, let alone block one. This afternoon I'll try a practice round on my New WaveMaster and see if I can return for my first class since before Christmas.

Speaking of ice, my driveway is so shiny that it hurts my eyes. And it's snowing again. I never leave my house anymore because it's such a hassle. I've become a hermit, going to her basement to unleash her physical aggression on a free-standing punching bag. I wonder what readers must think of me! And speaking of winter, I posted about environmentally friendly ice/snow removal at Eco Women. Check it out.

Perhaps the best thing to do is kick back with a good book--while reading blogs today I came across this:

Turn off your blog on January 8, 2009 to read a book, a magazine or even the newspaper. Anything on paper. Let me know you posted about Day to Read and I will list you below. Happy Reading!

To post and then read, or read and then post? What do you do? I mix it up depending on my mood--posting first, then reading other blogs makes my posts rather ego-centric and navel-gazey, a quality I despise. Reading first, then posting can make my posts kind of trite and copycat. But today was a great reading day--Minnesota Matron, Ecology of a Woman, San Diego Momma, Candid Carrie, Six in the Country--I enjoy a good round of blog reading. But tomororw I'm taking the day to read. A book.

11 comments:

  1. I really want to see a photo of your driveway now that you've described it so thoroughly in a couple different places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's the tread on those green boots? Perhaps you should go for something equally green but with more traction. ;)

    Speaking of traction, the roads here were glazed and slippery from freezing drizzle all night. What is that? Freezing drizzle?!?? I tell you, it must be global warming.

    Which reminds me, I'm so glad you posted about environmentally friendly ways to melt ice. I'm a gardener, and chemical ice melt hurts my plants.

    (Just to let you know, Mr. T is still in our prayers -- we haven't forgotten him or you!)

    -MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a post ready for tomorrow already, so I'm still posting. But not today. So does that count?

    My kids LOVE KFP and are always doing "Kung Fu" around the house. It is making my son more motivated for his Tae Kwon Do, so I'm into that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read books a lot. I make a point of it every day. Most days, i read the newspaper, too. I love the Internet, but I will never give up my print sources.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine living through that kind of weather let alone trying to be normal in it! I would definitely be hermit--heck I'm a hermit here and it's only overcast and 50 degrees!

    Good for you with the karate. I always thought that would be an awesome outlet. I almost took Aikido once but just never did. Maybe one day.

    BTW a great read that I am reading right now is Barack Obama's "Dreams of my Father." Really excellent and easy to read. I am not a great reader, I think I have a shorter attention span than most, but his book is really easy to read and hard to put down. I love how candidly yet eloquently he writes about difficult things to put into words.

    Thanks for your bloggy love...I appreciate it. It was the first time I have really written halfway candidly about my upbringing and felt a little naked so I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I keep taking days off from blogging cuz I can't find the time in between everything else. Does that count? Though I have been reading too, snippets here and there while waiting in traffic to pick the boys up and to put myself to sleep. So I guess YES I'm in. Will make sure to stick my book in my handbag for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, i need to read a book tomorrow....sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe too much wave master caused your knee pain. Take it easy at class later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always reading, writing and arithmaticking - yeah right, the last part not so much.

    And the Wavemaster reminds me, I need to get back into a kickboxing class - need me some cardiokicking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just found your blog - I'm in Wisconsin, too. I know what you mean about the ice, it's absolutely everywhere. I'm going to check out your eco link as soon as I'm done commenting here. Then I'll get comfy and read some short stories (from a book).
    So glad I found your blog!
    Take care,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.