Friday, January 30, 2009

signed, sealed, delivered

Yesterday started with Mr. G joining me in bed at 1 a.m. coughing that evil croupy cough. I had a headache that pounded through my skull so badly I wanted to vomit. Mr. T was bucking me on homework, Mr. B had the whole day off of school because the AM Kindergarten was taking a field trip and he's in PM. Sucking down coffee, Alleve and ibuprophen, I pried my eyes half-mast and faced the day.

At noon the mailman came to the door. I opened the box he left for me and found this:

This, friends, is a box full of the most amazing cards handmade by my BFF Sarah. She has skillz--I covet her cards. I am an old-school correspondence girl, preferring the letter in my mailbox to a phone call. I send a half-dozen cards out every month to cheer, congratulate, wish happy thoughts, console. Everyone loves getting mail--it tips the balance of the day every single time. Now, look upon a sampling of my Big Box O' Cards and Tremble with Awe:

So many fun designs--plus a fistful of cards for Team Testosterone! Could these be any cuter?
I looked in my birthday book and there are only TWO birthdays between now and May. It seems bad form to hope for a funeral ... I wonder who's having a new baby?


There are plenty of cards for no particular occasion, too.

Finding something unexpected in your mailbox can boost your spirits. My headache went away. Mr. G coughed less. I told Mr. T we'd deal with his homework over the weekend and if he has to stay in at recess today, that's just a natural consequence. Sarah and her cards don't have magical powers, but they are powerful and I shall wield my mighty pen upon each of them to unleash their force--spreading their beauty to the tune of 42 cents each. That's one potent present to discover in the mail. Thanks, Sarah the Card Goddess. You rule.

25 comments:

  1. What an amazing gift. Sarah is a saint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that really is an awesome gift. Beautiful cards - I'm feeling inspired just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The power of positive thinking, er. . . mailing.

    Friendship is a gift - I think I'll mail my friends a little note - wish I had the talent to make it a box of beautiful cards - sadly, nope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are fortunate to have a friend like Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do so love a lagniappe! I wish I had the forethought and the creativity to do more of this kind of thing for the people I love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful!

    I just stocked up on cards because I have almost two dozen birthdays between now and the summer. Crazy, I know. So I went to Etsy and started shopping. This one for my grandmother, that one for my favorite aunt, another one for a bloggy friend who's having a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are the prettiest cards! You have one talented BFF! I totally agree about sending cards/letters--it is an (almost) lost art that should be cultivated--nothing makes one happier than getting a note in the mail! I am glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're gorgeous.

    I hope you're not taking the Aleve and the ibuprofen together. Aleve is a 12 hour pain reliever and ibuprofen is every 6 hours. They're both non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and can be very hard on your liver--it's very easy to damage your lover with OTC painkillers. That's my PSA for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~ wow! ~ what awesome cards!! Those are really splendid. I've been thinking about making some postcards lately too...hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  10. "...easy to damage your lover with OTC painkillers...."

    *heehee!* Jenn...
    and your liver. And your lover's liver.
    * ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. 3rd row, 2nd picture.

    I think. Count the chins to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Getting pretty mail rocks. You are amazing for sending those out... and your friend is super talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is very nice to get a REAL letter in the mail. Those are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great gift. I can't begin to count the number of times I've wished I had a card handy to send out to someone. Hope you continue to stay on the mend, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucky you! I, too, love a little something to send or receive in the mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are beeeeooooteeful! I love getting cards, and I always vow to be better about sending them out. I sent my Christmas cards the first week of January.... Bad! But better late than never, eh?

    So, when is your birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is soooooo cool! What a great plus in a minus day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, that's the power of a random act of kindness. Glad your friend made you feel bettah!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hehe! I knew you were a kindred spirit - I am obsessive about cards and writing - but I don't have any pretty hand made ones like those!
    I keep a stash for all eventualities...so much so, if a neighbour gets caught short for one, she comes up here!
    I think you have a very special, giving friend there!
    H
    x
    PS I know I still haven't given you the Jordy low down...it will come...soon I promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You make me want to renew my annual New Year's Resolution to send out Birthday cards without fail. So far, I'm doing terribly. Perhaps I can give you a list of names and addresses and you can do them for me?

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.