Tuesday, January 6, 2009

that Galway cottage


A few answers to your questions: the tin buckets & rack did come from IKEA--have I mentioned the awesome storage stuff they sell? When we moved into this house it seemed so grand compared to the 1100 square foot house we moved from that I vowed to always have one empty shelf. It pleases me to "not quite fit" into this place. Now I have 3 empty shelves thanks to my endless purging.

Last Friday I mentioned a little cottage in Galway and several of you asked about the story. Years ago I brought students on a tour of Ireland and was utterly charmed by every square inch of the country. My fantasy is to rent this cottage I found online--it's located on the seashore and from it you can see the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher and the Aran Islands. It's tiny and white and a 2 minute walk to a beach and a 20 minute drive into Galway. I click on this link and imagine bringing team testosterone to this spot for a whole month of beachside exploring and immersion in another country. (A month! Indulgent? Yes...maybe only 3 weeks...) We'd eat fresh berries and potatoes every day, hike and pick seashells. At night we'd got to a local pub and listen to live music while eating fish and the adults sip their taps of Guinness.
We'd make day trips to places like Kylemore Abby and Dunguaire Castle to soak up history, architecture and art. We'd spend a day climbing around Giant's Causeway and another in the museum in Dublin where the collection of ancient artifacts is huge. The boys would acquire an appreciation for a hot pot of tea with fresh biscuits... Someday...

In the meantime (AKA real life), I'm trying to devise this year's fabulous family vacation. I'd like to rent a cottage for a week somewhere near water and other fun things to do. The big question is where oh where...so if anyone has a recommendation, I'm eager to hear it.

21 comments:

  1. Well, I know of a cute little town in Virginia that you could visit. It's not on the ocean, but we do have pools and lakes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous place! I've always wanted to go to Ireland! ll keep my fingers crossed for scones in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our favorite beach holiday was the outer banks in NC (near Auntiem). We took the kids there year after year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. smith mtn lake in VA is a gorgeous lake, not much in the town, nice but very small but the lake is so gorgeous. very clean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, uh, I know you're already in Wisconsin, but when I was a kid, we vacationed every summer at a resort outside of Tomahawk, on Lake Nokomis. The place we went is called Lakewood Resort - basic but nice little cottages, a small beach on the lake, playground, basketball/volleyball/soccer area, "lodge" for nighttime fun (pool, air hockey, vid games, bar). I have such wonderful memories...we went back three years ago and it was still great.

    Ireland is my dream, too. I will visit someday...and maybe never come back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love the cabins at Voss's in Manitowish Waters, WI. The lodge is great for rainy days and nothing beats sitting on your own porch overlooking the lake having a cold one after a long day of fishing and boating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband spent time in Ireland back in his student days. I've never been. It's one of our first priorities once the wild bunch has moved on to real life...

    A few years ago, we camped lakeside in Northern Minnesota for two weeks. I have to admit, it was one of the best vacations we've had. (If you want, I can look through "the files" and give you the exact place. There was great fishing and swimming and it was not crowded -- even in June.)

    But if you can manage a bit further, I would suggest Banff and Jasper in Alberta, Canada. They are so beautiful, and the hiking is fantastic.

    Good luck -- our dream is to head West. We'll see how far we make it this year! -MM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you on the Ireland thing...even more so because I am half Irish. Or could be Scottish, no one in our family can figure it out. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nova Scotia! We spent a week in Lockeport on N.S's South Shore last June. Loved it. June is "off season" (just like Door County), so it was less expensive. Warning: it's still cold in June! Oh, heck, you're a Northerner. You'd cope.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cottage is beautiful. Just one thing: I think I once saw a spooky movie where Demi Moore rented a place in Galway that was haunted. So...just, you know, hang garlic.

    Otherwise: the whole place looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! And we always used to vacation at Lake Lawn Lodge in Lake Delavan (I think)...I have such great memories of that place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like the perfect vacation. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh...can I tag along on this dream?...a month in Ireland...ahhhhh

    Here's one place my husband and I like to visit: ”Arch Cape House”

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Irish dream sounds fantastic--I hope you make it.

    Our yearly lake experience is in California--Mammoth Lakes. I'm already looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. everyone has great ideas for you and the only thing i can think of to say is -- when you go to ireland for a month do you think you would notice if i stowed away in your suitcase and just kind of hung out with you??/ good..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't recommend a vacation spot because I seem to spend mine cruising the aisles of IKEA and clearing stuff out of the house that doesn't quite fit anything but our pocket book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Captiva Island in Florida is always wonderful. There is a great restaurant called the Bubble Room, slices of red velvet cake the size of your head!!!
    I'm kind of jonesing on your Irish cottage. You have painted a lovely picture.
    Your Pal,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll rent the cottage next door because that sounds like a fabulous fantasy. Gotta come along.

    N. Minnesota was really pretty in September. J2 has missed going up there the past couple of years since she stopped going to French camp. Four weeks taking a bath in the lake with Dr. Bronner's.....seriously what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can you take me too, it looks awesome!!!

    And our home is 1200 square feet. My hope is that we will always fit in it. We'll see... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm totally coming with you to Ireland. I was there 20 years ago and have vowed to go back someday...

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.