Tuesday, February 17, 2009

absolute gentlemen

Yesterday's post garnered some of the strongest opinions of any topic I've ever written about--I'm telling the Fox network that something gets everyone's dander up besides guns, gays,abortion and partisan politics. In fact, next time my tongue gets bloody from biting down on it while I'm listening to somebody preach to me about sanctity and life, liberty and pursuit of happiness for all people--not just the ones living independently of their host placenta and uterus I am totally going to interrupt them and say, "Speaking of pursuing happiness--which you were so eloquently and pedantically defending just now, which Mr. Darcy do you prefer? Colin Firth in the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice or Matthew MacFadyen in the 2005 film?"

Oh man, I'm getting steamed up again just thinking about it. On the one hand, you have that electric ballroom banter between Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. On the other, Mr. Darcy dives into a pond and emerges all dripping and --see? HOT topics in the Blogosphere.


My own gentlemen-in-training continue their strict regimen of careful aim while urinating, clearing their dishes after each meal, and hanging up their coats. I've yet to quelch some of their more barbaric tendencies, however. Like stuffing candy wrappers under furniture or beneath couch cushions. And picking their noses. And leaving their crap all over my house. Never one to rest long on my laurels, we're about to enter Phase II at Green Girl's School for Gentlemen.

This is for Hen, who misunderstood our debate and keeps stubbornly bringing up Rupert Penry-Jones who has NOT played Mr. Darcy, but did quite adequately shiver my timbers as Captain Frederick Wentworth in Persuasion. Hm. He'll do in a pinch, eh?

9 comments:

  1. Here, it's the Jenworld Academy for Girls. Mine are learning not to stuff used tissues between their beds and the walls, as well as (eventually) how to walk in a ladylike fashion. Perhaps I'll learn too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lordy Lord. My keyboard kaputted yesterday so I couldn't comment, but went to sleep with LOVELY visions of wet, sexy hubba hubba Mr. Darcy in my head. Colin Firth is THE ONE AND ONLY Mr. Darcy, of course. I fell in love with him when I was 17 and studying P&P at school. And then hubby bought me the whole Jane Austen / BBC box set for Christmas once. Sigh. Sigh. Swoon. Sigh. Swoon. Sigh.

    I didn't quite feel the 2nd P&P as much as I felt the first. That dance scene was ok, but nothing compared to the pond scene in the 1st... or the 2nd proposal. Although I did like the 2nd proposal in the 2nd P&P. Him walking through the morning mist... oh Lordy lordy me.

    Thank you for these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you, taking candy wrappers out from between the couch cushions.
    Also, mine like to distribute glasses throughout the house. My hubby used to be just as guilty, until he took over dishwasher duty.
    Now I love to hear him gripe to them about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What IS it with the wrappers? Nut packets, sweeties, et al. What is so hard about putting it in the bin?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think he was Darcy in a really old version of P&P that is available on Amazon. I remember seeing it when I went on my Austen movie buying binge.

    And I totally understand why you all love Colin Firth. Most of you are a few years younger than me and watched it when you were at a very impressionable age. I still feel the same about all the soap opera hotties from back in the day (John McCook as Lance Prentiss on Y&R....I'll still watch him smoulder any old day! And Jack Fenelli on on Ryan's Hope, be still my heart!)

    However, when that P&P hit the airwaves I must've been knee deep in diapers, so Matthew will have my heart, forever.

    I'm just sayin'. (because he needs some more votes! ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so glad to see some of yesterday's commenters refer to my FAVORITE of favorite Colin Firth roles -- the jilted author in Love Actually.

    And if you've ever seen him interviewed, you will realize that he is just as much of a ridiculously befuddled hunk of man in everyday conversation as he is on film.

    Why do I find that so attractive? I have no clue, but I so totally do.

    (I'm looking at my husband and wondering if he qualifies as "deliciously awkward" now? Hmmm. Perhaps he does.)

    GG, this Mr. Darcy topic has led me further down the path of self-knowledge.

    I thank you. ;)

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Argggg!!!! I can't believe the Frilly Firth is winning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're going to have to stop with all this before I come over there and squeeze you really hard.

    They both rule. But, honestly, it's all Firth, all the time. He feels closest to a possible vision of Austen to me; the other is more a modern, hyped version of Darcy.

    And damn you. Like I have six hours to put into rewatching that P & P with my own Firth right now?

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.