Monday, February 23, 2009

i haven't mentioned Kung Fu Panda for a whole month


Is it just me or did the rest of you fall a little more in love with Hugh Jackman after last night? What a show! He's got the best stage presence of any host in ages and I enjoyed his enthusiasm. I hope they keep the new format for presenting actor awards--so much more intimate and meaningful. The presentation of the music scores was the best ever, the staging and choreography made previous shows seem clunky and uncoordinated. Ben Stiller nailed his imitation, Sean Penn stayed on this side of a Susan Sarandon/Tim Robbins diatribe, the documentaries were treated with singular respect and the montages of different film genres was an overdue nod to movies as a whole--because really? The Oscar winners are NOT the films most movie fans go to see--it was nice to have that recognized for a change. Great pairings of presenters--I liked the unexpected surprise of Sarah Jessica Parker and Daniel Craig, for example. The format for screenwriting awards was my favorite ever. I wish Jerry Lewis had spoken longer, and didn't his wife look fabulous? I appreciated the elegance in the audience--and the lack of slutty costuming. The Academy Awards needed a makeover and I like the results--it was definitely stale these past several years.

My days of Oscar parties are long over (alas!) so I sat with Mr. B and Mr. T on my lap for the first hour and a half. The Jonas Brothers helped keep their interest with Barbara Walters and they were surprised "to see so many Disney characters there." Because Zac Efron and Miley Cyrus aren't actual people, you know. We all guessed Wall-E correctly for best feature-length animated, but I shoved them off to bed when they kept guessing Kung Fu Panda for every other category. "Kung Fu Panda wasn't even nominated! A movie can't win a cateogry if it isn't even nominated."

Mr. D's assistant is married off after this weekend--God love that man, he has survived both assistants planning weddings in the past two years. How exhausting for him. My very old 'wedding dress' still fit when I slid it on Saturday afternoon(I haven't tried it on in five years or more) and I bowled over a 150 average with Jan on Friday night after a dinner celebrating my bowling partner's 40th birthday (we all wore black to celebrate and N's husband planned her party well with cake, cocktails, surprise guests and lots of decorations). A great weekend, but I'm glad to wake up to Monday.

20 comments:

  1. For a moment there I thought you went bowling in your wedding dress :)
    I thought Hugh Jackman was great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about"jan" and how you were doing with "her". I did like the oscars also..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy. My age is showing. Completely missed the Oscars. Thanks for the highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one amazing woman to slip into your wedding dress with such ease! My wedding dress is the one I am wearing in the photos I put up for Valentine's Day (we got married on our ten year anniversary!). I love nontraditional wedding dresses! Your husband is quite tough indeed! Good bowling score!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Hugh Jackman. I always think I'm only once removed from him since I know someone who knows him (the son of J1's late ballet teacher is an actor and was in Oklahoma in London with him as well as the movie Van Helsing). But I haven't watched the Oscars for years. I don't even know who half the people on the red carpet are anymore, much less seen any of the movies (except Wall-E, on the way home from Hawaii and I thought it was miserable). I got the recap on the Today Show this morning, so I spent the night channel surfing instead.

    I'm such a little ray of sunshine, huh!;-} And I would've liked to see you bowling in your wedding dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, you and I are on the same page. I just spoke the first paragraph of this post almost verbatim to someone this morning! I too really liked that it was more a celebration of film in general and not just about the nominated movies. And Hugh Jackman should take over as permanent host - he was so great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surprise guests? Was Kung Fu Panda bowling?

    And I love Ben Stiller. The scene in Zoolander where they are dancing around with the gas pump to "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" ... now those are inappropriately good times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugh Jackman was wonderful. His enthusiasm was completely contagious. I also loved how former Oscar winners introduced this year's nominees. I hope they keep that bit in next year. It was touching to see how the intros affected the actors and actresses.

    And pls. don't go on and on about fitting into your wedding dress. A little respect for those of us who can't even slip it up over the thighs, please? :)

    Glad you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only watched a little of the show because I don't get to see many movies. Hugh Jackman was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an astute assessment of the show last night; I LUFFED the new way of presenting the major acting awards, from former winners to current nominees. Each nominee then got his/her moment.

    You can't have Hugh Jackman because he's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, I totally try on my wedding dress every few years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lurved Hugh Jackman. So wonderful to have a song and dance man instead of a topical comedian. Yay. I was happy to see the technical award winners get their moment on stage again and the best song nominees blended number was gorgeous!
    I didn't get the Ben Stiller thing and SJP & La Aniston skeeved me out, but how beautiful was the tribute to the recently passed members portion with Queen Latifa? My only gripe was that the tv audience couldn't see the screen clips properly.
    Best Oscars ceremony in years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was verklempt during the whole Oscars show! (blame it on the post-surgery Vicodin if you must). I loved the new format, especially the touching comments to each of the "big" nominees.

    Hugh Jackman is gorgeous, inside and out and, yes, my adoration for him increased exponentially after seeing his interview with Barbara Walters. The presenter pairings were really terrific and I don't remember any of those awkward moments that seem to pop up on any awards show.

    Loved every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I knew there was something else...

    OK, there were a few minutes I didn't love - WHY in the WORLD is Beyonce part of every single show biz event that happens this millennium?? ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Missed every second of it. I didn't even get to see replays on the news - so thanks for the update. I may have to catch it next year...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally ignored the Oscars except to quickly blip through the internet postings of who was wearing what with a slightly less snippy Middle Child so we could play judge, jury, and "Holy Night, Batman! Call the Executioner for that crime against fashion!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you...I loved the glamorous dresses this year. Very classy.

    And I'm trying not to hate you for fitting easily into your wedding dress! :)
    My poor resolutions...so forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG: I would not want to try on my wedding dress. Back then, I was thin - today, NOT! Oh well.

    It was fun seeing Kate Winslet get so emotional. I love the energy in any awards ceremony - most of the ones I've seen have been sporting events for my kids :) no glitz-no glamor but lots of fun

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought the way of presenting the best actor awards was amazing.

    Sounds like you had an award-winning weekend yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I missed watching the oscars, but heard Kate WInslet's speech on the radio yesterday morning...how does she always sound so cringeworthy?
    Last time she couldn't remember Angelina Jolie's name and called her 'the other one'...this time she only remembered Ms Streep! So embarrassing.

    As to the wedding dress...oh crumbs, that definitely doesn't fit, and hasn't since the birth of first child!
    I had a 20" waist then...sob, sob, sob!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.