Wednesday, February 25, 2009

taking stock

Today's as good a day as any to take stock--Kalurah at While They Play tagged me for her meme, "Love Me, Love Me Not."

1. List 5 things you
do NOT love about yourself.
2. Then list 5 things you
DO love about yourself.
3. Tag 5 other people.
4. Check back with the 5 people you tagged. You may be surprised to find out how many things you have in common.

I do--I curse like a sailor.

First--things I do NOT love about myself:
1. I have a terrible temper--while I'm generally pretty even-tempered, my rage can FLARE up with uncontrollable ferocity on occasion (though less and less as I get older).
2. I wish I could talk more freely about my faith, but I can't, won't and don't. It's almost as though I'm ashamed of being a Christian and that makes me feel horribly hypocritical.
3. I swear WAY too much. Been working on reducing my cursing for a long time and while I've improved, I still hear myself drop an f-bomb without even thinking about it--and I always cringe inside when I do.
4. My skin--sensitive, prone to rashes, break-outs and stray hairs--sheesh.
5. I hate that flab of a belly that hasn't left since Mr. G was born. And my breasts have completely lost any definition. Really, a torso replacement would be a lovely thing...


My great brain.

Five things I DO love about myself:
1. I'm smart. I've got one of those brains that never shuts down--always clicking away and filing information. Consequently, I can be very witty and funny in the moment.
2. I have outstanding editing skills. Unfortunately this works better on other people's work than on my own, but I can take almost any piece and help make it better. I was a good writing teacher in part because of this.
3. My good endurance for a lot of things--physical and otherwise. In karate I can outlast kids half my age without tiring which pleases me.
4. I do have awesome hair.
5. I've become very comfortable being alone in the woods--being 'still' isn't something that comes naturally to me (a little ADHD), but I've learned how to do it and it gives me a balance that I now depend on. I'm a much quieter person than I thought I'd end up becoming.

I'm tagging:
Jen (on the Edge)
Mom on the Run at Abnormally Normal
Jenn (at Juggling Life)
Julia (at Midwest Moms)
Adrienne (at The Story Board)

And as a perfect finish, I must tell you, I was able to zip up my wedding dress. It was t-i-g-h-t, but I did so and could breathe. Then I stood in front of my mirror and admired how pretty my dress looked for several minutes. Such a silly girl. The satin pumps, however, did NOT fit. I was very surprised to find them beneath the dress packed in the box--a garter too. Who knew?

24 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you
    Happy birthday to you
    Happy birthday dear Melissssssa...
    Happy birthday to you!

    I learned a few new things about you today. Thank you.

    I'll take your tag and run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!

    I swear more than I should. But sometimes it just fits. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lists. It sounds as if you really do see yourself. Not too hard, and lots of great tings there!

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering how I missed it, but Happy Birthday!

    Great meme and thanks for the tag. I still like you even though you have fabulous hair and I do not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - Many Happy Returns of the Day!

    Bravo on putting on the wedding dress. Not a bad birthday gift to oneself. I don't think any dress in my closet from last year still fits...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to you.
    I admire your intelligence .
    Your Pal,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, and thanks for the "blog fodder" :)

    I'm not sure I've ever met a woman who liked her hair! It must truly be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo! I liked this one!
    And I must say, your tummy can't be too bad if you can fit into your wedding dress. I'm just sayin'.

    Happy birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oy, the swearing. And the internal cringing. Ah, fitting into one's wedding dress after multiple kiddies... that is the ultimate gift isn't it?! Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhhh...Happy Birthday to You!!!

    There's only two things I hate about myself: my thighs. Oh wait, I didn't have to tell...

    but I don't even think my thighs would fit in my wedding dress...

    I'm just saying, "Good Job Green Girl."

    ReplyDelete
  11. They sqy it's your birthday...dadadaDA...Happy Birthday to you! Hope you're having a great day and congrats on the wedding dress! Garters are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate that I forget to edit--fault of mine--sorry for the misspellings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you on #2 of your do not like. I'm the same :(

    I can be very witty. But most people miss it and think I'm strange. My husband always gets it though.

    and....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy, Happy Birthday!! Hope you're enjoying a wonderful day with Team Testosterone.

    Every single item on your do not like list could be on mine, although #5 is more of a whole body thing than just the belly...and items 1 and 2 on your do like list could, too. No wonder I like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday, dear neighbor!

    And, yes, I agree with you...you have a marvelously wonderful brain. When we get into an intellectual conversation (even about pumpkins) I sometimes walk away feeling like a country bumpkin who can only say..."uhhhhh...duhhhhhhh."

    I'm sure it looks it too. Someday I'll be as quick thinking as you. :)

    Treats coming your way tomorrow as a belated birthday gift!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday and congratulations on the dress! I am not sure I am brave enough for that one.

    Not that I want to bring up that Mr. Darcy, but I went to watch it yesterday when I realized I had loaned it out. Oh pooh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are awesome! And a birthday girl, too? Have a great one, you lovely, skinny bride!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday!!!

    I love that you see so much positive in yourself. Something we could all learn to do more often.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You and your fab hair can come swear with me any time - and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday! (And thanks for the tag.) :D

    I'll do my best! - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have some bad habits in common - like swearing and a temper that can go from 0 to 60 in seconds. But I doubt I can zip up my wedding dress. Please sign me up for a torso transplant.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. HAH!! I am soooo Love #2!!! :)
    Great list. Thanks so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.