Monday, March 2, 2009

monday miscellany

First, you must stop by Eco Women: Protectors of the Planet this week--it was a year ago this week that Jen on the Edge and I launched a site for green people like us--we eat some meat and shave our legs--we're not super-crunchy granola people. We're regular folk with an awareness and consciousness about living more environmentally friendly lifestyles through doing a little more every day. And we're giving stuff away this week. If that can't convince you to drop by and leave a comment, I don't know what will.

Back already? I saw that Paul Harvey died this weekend. When I think of the "markers" of adulthood when I was a child, they included Paul Harvey telling us the news on AM radio, Readers Digest, men wearing 3-piece suits to the office and the sour chemical aroma of home permanents. I liked how he'd start a story and wrap it up at the end of his program--that phrase, "The rest of the story." I liked the wry humor in his voice and even when I later learned he was conservative, he wasn't a hate-mongering a**hole like most of AM radio's voices today. He was a gentleman, and the world is a little poorer today for his leaving it.

I'm really sorry for my friends in the South--it's one thing to get hammered by a late winter smackdown (thanks, Mrs. G, for that image) when you live in Wisconsin, but a foot of snow when you live in North Carolina? That's harsh. My senses are numb from enduring 4 months of cold and snow. I'm desensitized to the puff of my breath hitting the frigid air every time I exhale. But I do feel bad for my more delicate neighbors in the South this week.

I'll leave you with a cute kid story. Mr. G crawls in bed with me at 6:00 every morning to watch PBS Kids--we snuggle, pet Violet and watch Curious George together and every morning during the week he asks if we can go to the Rainforest Cafe (proud sponsor). Today he saw the ad for the Rainforest Cafe and pointed, yelling, "Look Violet! There's your family!" Sure enough--a couple of lions were stalking through the safari. "You have lots of people in your family, jaguars, cheetahs, tigers--they're your brothers and sisters." That's a family reunion that wouldn't end well for our girl, fierce huntress that she is.

This is Green Girl. Good day!

20 comments:

  1. Don't feel sorry for us! We've been deprived all winter, so today's snow is a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the snow was nice. my six year old came to me with tears in his eyes this morning, sad that it was melting.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Mr. G.--- your misters rarely fail to tickle. Now I'm headed off to see what the rest of the story is with the Eco Women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, have memories of Paul Harvey and of the smell of home permanents. (we used RAVE.) I guess all things must come to an end. I'm happy the perms went out sooner rather than later!

    It's neat that you spend that time with Mr. G every day. I bet he will really remember that snuggle time with Mom and Violet.

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always imagine housecats dream of running with their big cousins...
    I also enjoyed Paul Harvey growing up. I liked the way he delivered his sign-off, "This is Paul Harvey...good day."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too was a lover of The Rest of the Story. I'll miss his the tales he told. :(

    And I'm just a regular girl who likes to think earth-friendly but my husband is a radical-recycler. Maybe it's because he came from Denmark where they don't give out bags at the grocery store-you pay or bring your own-most people bring their own. And the garbage can not can(s) in the homes are the size of a toothpick holder.

    One time we went to a very fancy resort and my hubs packed up our garbage to take home with us. I said, "I'm not walking through the lobby with a plastic garbage bag filled with garbage." He said, "They won't recycle it. I will." So we drove home from Seattle with a garbage bag in the backseat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paul Harvey's distinctive "Good day!" is a part of my childhood too!

    We're LOVING the snow, so don't feel bad for us! We've been so jealous! We've got to enjoy it while it lasts. Friday it's supposed to reach 70!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am/was a huge Paul Harvey fan. His voice was so distinct and his style was pure class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, I'll miss Paul Harvey too. My dad used to take me to school, pretty much until I could drive. We listened to Paul Harvey every morning. Conservative or not, you're right, he was an icon of our generation, and a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hearing your Violet stories. I just spent the weekend visiting in a home with a siberian cat, hypoallergenic, hardly sheds, as personable as could be. I've been a dog person my whole life, but for the first time found myself daydreaming about a pet that would, well, take care of itself . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember listening to him on the radio as a kid and just absorbing his stories.. May the heavens welcome one of the best storytellers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I can't imagine--all that snow! Great Idea with the Eco Women site, I enjoy it very much and it is truly helpful and full of insights--lots of great articles, recipes, and tips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Weather Channel can be entertaining at times like this. Off to Eco Women; women like me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. He was one of the good ones for certain!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel more than a little guilty reading about this post and all the bad weather while I am holed up in the Cayman Islands. If it is any consolation whatsoever, I have to go home on the weekend and meet up with a foot of snow...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Paul Harvey. I like that his son has followed in his footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't even leave a comment because I have to go now and try to win free stuff, so stop bothering me already.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Home permanents--I think they might be considered child abuse today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved the story with Mr. G. :) I too am sooo over winter already.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved the story with Mr. G. :) I too am sooo over winter already.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.