Wednesday, April 8, 2009

rabble

In our bowling league people dress up for Halloween, Christmas and our end of the year party. Between my total lack of needle-thread craftiness and Mr. D's patent unwillingness to dress up as anyone other than himself, we always fall short of the the rest of the crowd. I blame myself. Because I hate to sew and shop around for costume parts, I end up waiting until the last minute and then what I find is totally lame and dorky looking.

Case in point: last Halloween. One couple showed up looking like they'd been unearthed from a nearby graveyard--totally spooky. (Sure, they have a friend who does air-brush make up for a living, but whatever.) Another couple came as Sonny and Cher--complete with matching hand-sewn bellbottoms and appropriate wigs. I? Wore Mr. T's old Harry Potter costume and said I was Hermione. Mr. D wore a rubber mask with his street clothes. Oh yeah, we suck .

So when I learned that our end of the year party was a TOGA party, I thought we could NOT fail this time around. An old set of king-sized sheets? Check. Wreaths made from plastic greenery from the craft store for our heads? Check. You Tube tutorial on how to tie a toga? Check. We were set. For the first time in the history of bowling league we were not showing up looking pathetic.

Right?

WRONG!

See, when I heard "Toga Party," I figured everyone would show up wearing bedsheets. As usual, I underestimated the time and effort our bowling league puts into dressing up. People bought patterns, silk and satin fabric, trim, faux grapes. People sewed capes and cords, attached baubles and beads. One team showed up color coordinated, looking like they'd stepped right off the set of Cleopatra. Another had theme togas, with all kinds of attention to details. Mr. D and I? Looked like Roman rabble from the foothills. Poor country cousins. Loooo-sers.

At least Jan had a 440 series her last night out.

17 comments:

  1. I hate dressing up. At least you participated. Doubtful I would've even made the effort with the sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did EXACTLY what I would have done. All those others? Smoking Martha Stewart's crack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome pair of Romans.

    If it makes you feel any better, I used to be one of those toga embellishers --who wasn't comfortable enough to just toss on a sheet--and I must admit, it was a sad part of my life!
    Things are much better now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys looked cute!

    My daughter would have fit in with your bowling buddies. Last toga party, she got black material and made a blinged-out toga with all kinds of sparkly stuff and jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did the walking, Jan did the talking.

    I like your easy togas...they are freakin' togas for crying out loud! How bedazzled can they get?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I figure you went above and beyond the call by slapping a garland on your head. Kudos to you and Jan for a stellar evening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Heidi on the bedazzled toga thing. Rebels not rabbles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your costumes are absolutely perfect. I would have never have thought to fancy mine up, and I do often smoke "Martha Stewart's crack" as Mary Alice said.

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU have a life. ;) TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I'm with you in the costume department. Love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG: I haven't been to a toga party in years - what a fun idea!!!

    Plus I've nominated you for the Lemonade Stand Award - welcoming and satisfying with a little kick!

    Stop by my blog to learn all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It could have been worse... for Loopy's school play about Greek mythology (for which she was narrator) I fashioned one of the aforementioned all-out spectacular costumes replete with gladiator sandals and yes, the grapes.

    But I made the colossal mistake of choosing the "Happy Leaf Lei" at the dollar store for her head wreath and too bad for us... it was a faux marijuana leaf lei.

    Yes, I sent my kid to the school play wearing a headdress of pot. And this is why it was suggested I step aside as room mother.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHAHAHA. How funny! I think you looked fabulous :) One time I threw that same sheet over my head and cut out 2 holes for eyes. I was a ghost. Highly original :-S

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I think you look very cute! I hate dressing up. Detest it, but love those who have so much fun with it. I wish I liked costumes but just can't get there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, but you are SO wonderful with your sheeted selves!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I personally think you guys look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Going overboard on the dressing up annoys the heck out of me--you are exactly my speed and style.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.