Wednesday, April 29, 2009

reading is sexy

Truly, when tagged by your awesome neighbor History Girl AND it's all about books? You gotta do it!

1) What author do you own the most books by?
Martha Grimes--18. Nancy Atherton--12, Agatha Christie--10, Carolyn Keene--10. See a trend?

2) What book do you own the most copies of?
I know I have at least 4 Bibles and 2 dictionaries.

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
Had not noticed.

5) What book have you read the most times in your life?
Aloud? Max's Bedtime, My Monster Mama Loves Me So, Babybug, 123 Sesame Street.
To myself? The Bible, Little Women, A Room of One's Own.
As a teacher? Frankenstein, Wuthering Heights, Grapes of Wrath, Cold Sassy Tree.

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old? If it was written by Beverly Cleary I luffed it.

7) What is the worst book you've read in the past year? That Edgar Sawtelle book. Don't get me started. Anne Enright's The Gathering was effing-awful too.

8) What is the best book you've read in the past year? The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society rocked. I'm finishing What Was Lost which so far runs a close second.

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be? Grapes of Wrath.

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie? The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie? Away by Amy Bloom. So you know it's just a matter of time.

13) What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult? Does Sophie Kinsella count? No? John Grisham? Stephen King? Wendy Holden? Jan Karon? Maeve Binchy?

14) What is the most difficult book you've ever read? Leviticus. Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire was a tough slog, too.

15) Do you prefer the French or the Russians? French. Fun Fact: I read Collette in French in 8th grade.

16) Roth or Updike? Pretentious, but I've read some Updike.

17) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers? Sedaris.

18) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer? Shakespeare, though I feel Milton is underappreciated.

19) Austen or Eliot? Austen (DUH!).

20) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading? I've never read many of the old classics-- Beowulf, Dante, Chaucer, for example.

21) What is your favorite novel? Little Women.

22) Essay? Barbara Kingsolver's High Tide in Tuscon.

23) Work of nonfiction? The Nine was quite good. I depend on Webster's New World Dictionary, Roget's II The New Thesaurus and Midwest Gardeners' Handbook, however.

24) Who is your favorite writer? Lately, Louise Penny & Marisa de los Santos. Of all time? P.G. Wodehouse, Mary Shelley & Jane Austen.

25) What is your desert island book? The Norton Anthology of American Literature.

26) What are you reading right now? What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn and The $64 Tomato by William Alexander.

27) What fictional character are you secretly in love with? Mr. Darcy.28) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature? Richard Russo.

29) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character. I dreamt once that I was lodged in a water tank like the main character in Donna Tartt's book The Little Friend. A truly terrifying scenario the way she described it--clearly it stuck with me.

30) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen? A Winter's Tale.

31) Favorite Play? Anything by Oscar Wilde.

32) Favorite Poem? anything by Pablo Neruda.

27) Favorite Short story? Flannery O'Connor's A Good Man is Hard to Find. chilling.

33) Who is the most overrated writer alive today? Maya Angelou.

I shan't tag anyone, but if you need blog material or this just looks like FUN like I did, DO IT and let me know so I can read your answers.

14 comments:

  1. Great questions - and answers. I might have to do this one too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait. Which Mr. Darcy is in that photo? It doesn't look like my second husband Colin at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intersting questions.
    I just read a fun book called Me & Mr. Darcy. Naturally I thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, but I was all done paying attention or retaining any of this after Mr. Darcy. Well, I'm retaining the vision of Mr. Darcy......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cold Sassy Tree!!! LOVED it in 11th grade!

    I agree with you on Maya Angelou...totally overrated

    I think I have to check out this Mr. Darcy.....but is he as rakishly handsome as Rhett???? Can anyone be better than Rhett???

    How are you an English Major and English Teacher and not read The Canterbury Tales???? Just wonderin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I do love that photo. And Flannery O'Connor too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd do it, but I don't know the difference between a book and an essay. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. grapes of wrath? really?

    ugh. i guess i could try again.

    my favorite book in high school was dr. zhivago.

    and really is it secret if everyone secretly loves mr. darcy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a lot in common reading-wise. Don't tell me my dearly beloved Maeve Binchey is lowbrow though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh . . . I'm reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes on Beverly Cleary. Yes on Sedaris over Eggers. Yes on Austen. Yes on Mr. Darcy.

    The only time I've ever thrown a book across the room from pure fright?...reading Flannery O'Connor's short stories...specifically, "A Good Man is Hard to Find." (I did eventually pick it up and finish.) On a side note, my sister's elderly friend met and kept a correspondece with O'Connor for many years. (They lived near one another in small town Georgia.) Her letters have been published in a recent book about Ms. O'Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Worst book for me was Umberto Eco's Island of the Day Before. I started it three times before I managed to slog through it. Then, twenty pages before the end, I quit. Figured I knew what was going to happen or had happened and couldn't stand the torture any longer. If Sartre's version of hell is true and I end up there, I know I will be stuck those last 20 pages for eternity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.