Tuesday, April 14, 2009

a short explanation


This pair of fleecey red sweat pants have been in our family since Mr. T was 1 or 2 years old. They were worn faithfully by Bachelor #1 and then Bachelor #2, always favored for their comfort and softness--and they seem to be indestructable, resisting all wear and tear apparent in all other pants in their drawers. Bachelor #3 has had these pants for 4 years now and refuses to give them up. They are his favorite, hands down. He won't allow them to be handed down to the next family in line for our clothes. He digs them out from where I've tried to hide them in the bottom of the drawer every time they make it to the other end of the wash cycle. He loves his "soft pants."

I'm just telling you this so you understand I know knee breeches knickers went out of style years ago. If you see a kid running around on Tuesdays wearing red fleece knee breeches, please appreciate that it's the least public day of the week for our family and I've coordinated my entire laundry schedule to make certain those red knickers get worn only on Tuesdays in the privacy of our home. And swimming lessons as it happens.

22 comments:

  1. Well I think he's adorable in them! ;-)

    Can you possibly convince him they're now PJs? Perfect for warmer summer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My neighbor boy loves pajamas. So that's what he wears at any moment he is not in school. It's pretty cute.

    I think he rocks the knicker look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's sweet...
    * : )
    and, y'know...eventually he will grow out of them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny. My mom made my 6yo a pair of black fleece pants last year. I just let out the hem so that he didn't look like he was ready for a flood.

    In the red knickers I see our future...

    ;)

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. So darn cute.
    Just pop on newboy cap with those knickers and you've got yourself a "Lil' Rascal!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute boy in cute knickers. My daughter used to wear a lot of her brother's hand-me-downs.

    OH!! Do I spy pictures of Elmo and Snuffleupagus on your fridge?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son has some pants he just won't give up. Full of holes. Dirty as can be. And he will wear them whenever he can find them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG - you are brilliant with your laundry strategy. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I don't know - he looks kinda cute in those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, if the feeling hits, he can always gallop through the field to our house in his knickers, if he needs to go somewhere in them. Man-capris are always welcome here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter had a t-shirt with a puppy on it that she wore way longer than I should have let her. It was soooo tiny. It finally made its way into the Goodwill bin.

    I understand your little guy's love of the short, soft pants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see it's not just girls who pick their favorites and wear them forever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Knickers are so very British; maybe he's going to be an Anglophile! What a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm impressed that they are still red. He could be wearing pinkish-grayish pants, and that, In my humble opinion, would be worse.

    This way it at least reflects nicely on your laundry detergent choices.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My middle son used to wear clothes 4ever 'cause he loved 'em - even when they were way too tight, too short, or ripped all to heck-n-back, as a matter of fact, he still does.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My boys lived in sweat pants when they were little. They wore holes in the knees that I repaired with iron-on patches. One thing I never could figure out--the older, who is left-handed, always wore holes in the right knee; the younger did the opposite.

    I am looking forward to meeting your bachelors in person tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. They go really well with my writing pants! Do you suppose he'll stash them away and keep them until he's an adult???

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've yet to see knee breeches carried off so well in modern times.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This style has made a comeback! At least here in tallinn last summer. I was wondering where the naked court jester was :-)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.