Thursday, May 21, 2009

14 months later

Today Mr. B and I had to run two errands: drop off at the thrift shop and buy Mr. T's birthday present. Mid-trip he was hungry so we stopped at a McDonald's. While we ate, 2 older women sat at the table nearby. After a fashion, one began remarking on Mr. B.
"He looks just like my nephew did at that age. He had the same big eyes and blonde hair that came down in front just like that boy's." She went on and on about how Mr. B looked like her nephew and had similar mannerisms. I thought it a little strange that she'd make such a fuss over some kid looking like a nephew, but maybe this woman had no kids of her own and was very close to extended family. Maybe the resemblance was that strong. Maybe... then she said, "Can you hear us talking about you?"
Mr. B rewarded her with his smile and kept chewing his french fries.
"When he grew up he went to college and became a marathon runner. Oh how he loved to run. He ran all over the United States in marathons. He had to run fast--he was in the middle of 4 boys and his older brothers were really something else." She went on and on about how her nephew loved to run, how he'd gone to college. "Why, his last marathon was in St. Louis, Missouri."
I froze and gave her my full attention. "Your nephew was Adam Nickel." What would be the odds?
"How did you know?"
I'd been his teacher in high school. Oh, I remembered him very well. I told her what a fine person he'd been, what a good student and then I told Mr. B, "Buddy, if you're going to resemble anyone in this lifetime, Adam Nickel is probably among the best. That's a real complement. I hope you grow up to be half the man he became."
And I totally understood why she'd make a fuss over seeing a little boy out eating at McDonald's that looked just like her nephew.

15 comments:

  1. I just got chills! You are so right - Brent would be a fine young man, indeed, if he grew up to be like Adam! Thanks for the wonderful reminder of such a great guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a coincidence and how nice she spoke up. Happy Birthday to Mr. T!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the great "story". If you would have just dismissed her, you wouldn't have heard the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What are the odds...!??? It's amazing how small our world really is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story. I'm sure it was a lovely coincidence for her, also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooh...goose bumpies! how neat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, what are the odds? It is such a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I had to look him up. But what a small world! I bet you made her day.

    Duuuude, you bought his present at the thrift store? Heh heh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How small is our world really!?
    Have a Fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd forgotten that story - and what a nice new chapter to add.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that story. Maybe she'll tell her nephew about the little blond boy at McDonald's who looks like him and his Mom was one of his teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I live for that sort of stuff...what a great story!! !!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.