Wednesday, May 20, 2009

brought to you by smell-o-vision

Let's stop by the potager site first. Yep, less muddy, but otherwise just as we left it.

This bloom means two things: the white bass are running and I'll be standing downwind of these every chance I get. Lilacs are all over our yard to maximize the chances of that. What's better than catching this scent through an open window? I've planted a berm of them on the west side of the yard and will plant another row behind the potager
This little gal has outdone herself this year, don't you think?

Tulips and lilacs and phlox--oh my!

Not as overpowering as the lilacs, but these crabapple blossoms have the sweetest aroma. I like to stand beneath it and breathe in.

This is what I see when I come around the corner of the garage from the back yard.

I really don't remember planting this many tulips back here, but I am charmed by their colors.

22 comments:

  1. I'm first! Those spring flowers. I am missing them this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is beautiful!
    There is NOTHING that matches the scent of lilac blowing in an open window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how lovely.

    I love lilacs and am trying to find all sorts of places to plant them.

    Here, we're smelling honeysuckle, which is one of my three favorite scents of all time. (The other two are gardenia and jasmine -- noticing a trend?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely! And I am so there with the lilacs - they are my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty, pretty, pretty! I've never seen lilacs in that color - around here, they are white or...lilac. :D

    Don't care what color they are, just let me smell 'em as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos -- too bad my PC doesn't have a smell card... maybe you could bottle it? Is Illinois downwind of Wisconsin?

    Enjoy your beautiful garden.

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a bevy of olfactory and visual delights. Yes, a certain gal has outdone herself!
    Beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How gorgeous! All those colors and scents must be a sight to behold. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, Mama! I wish I could smell it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, pretty!
    I don't have lilacs, but now I'll have to go outside and stick my nose in the stephanotis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy snaps, so fragrant I can smell them from NC.Great garden, GG.

    I've been using a laundry detergent/softener from Farmhouse this is called "Fresh White Lilac" and feel like it's spring every time I slide between the sheets!

    Right now our white jasmine is blooming and I keep getting whiffs of that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so jealous since my lilac has finished its blooming. I love the scent of lilac. It's the best smell ever. Thanks for sharing yours.

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was a kid we had a row of lilac bushes down a long driveway. They were various colors - from white to a purple that was almost black. I love the smell of lilacs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have four lilac bushes - and I want more, more, more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I miss havng lilcas in my yard - I think I'm going to plant one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lilacs are my very favorite flower - ahhhhhhhhhhhh don't they smell lovely?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I reeallly, really wish there was such a thing as smell-o-vision. They look gorgeous and I can only imagine the scent!

    No blooms here, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tulips are my favorite. Thanks for sharing! Most of our area is just green now...no more fantastic colors!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.