Wednesday, May 27, 2009

christened

Your suggestions for naming the summer help were fantastic--seriously, "Hank Errand" was one of my favorites. I rather liked the idea of naming them all "Lefty," but that smacked too much of George Foreman naming all his kids "George." "Slugger" takes the cake as a grand baseball name. So "Slugger" it is. He starts June 8th, so stay tuned.

Last night I spent damp and chilly on the metal bench in the dugout of Mr. T's baseball game keeping the book, batting and field positions straight for his team--Mr. D would normally coach, but his high school baseball team was busy getting slaughtered out of town. To be fair, no one in our family did too well on the baseball front--Mr. T's team lost 2-1. With hair frizzed and fingers frozen, we trudged from ball diamond to soccer field to watch Mr. B take our tribe's only win for the night. And now I have a load of damp and dirty uniforms to wash and a broken washing machine.

But all is not dreary--I've begun running to prep for my black belt test this fall. I'm not a runner. It's unnatural and a completely inefficient way to move from place to place in my opinion. But I have a 3-mile run as part of my qualification test and I know that I'll never do it without training ahead of time. The grind starts after Labor Day--8 weeks of mandatory Friday evening and Saturday afternoon black belt training in addition to 2 regular karate classes/week before I earn my first degree. Bottom line: I have to get busy. So last week I ran my first 2 miles and woke up the following morning barely able to walk. Three days I hobbled around, wincing and feeling pathetic. I gave it another go Monday night and I woke up feeling NO pain! Mr. D says that means I'm ready to add a 1/2 mile to my run--and I should run more often. I say it means 3 miles might not kill me.

I'd love to include this video, but alas, I'm a Luddite and after 15 minutes of dinking around with it, still cannot figure out how to put it into my post today, so I'll make you click. Go ahead and watch--it'll give you a good idea of what I look like while running down our road.
Whoo-Hoo! A shout out to Mommy Always Wins for teaching me how to do this!!!


23 comments:

  1. To quote The Fan, "You should never run, unless something ugly is chasing you". Words to the wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slugger - perfect choice!
    I remember that Friends episode - funny! Good luck with the running thing. I've never been able to get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing more fun than running without worrying what you look like. And the good news is: it gets easier. (It's the arm waving that does the trick methinks.)

    Fortunately, I don't think there are many mounted policemen in Wisconsin.

    ... you will have to watch out for the cows, though. ;)

    - Julia

    p.s. I like Slugger, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of running...I need to get some new running shoes today. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was hilarious. I suspect that is how I run too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're running, which is more than many of us do. And you're working toward a specific goal -- an amazing one. Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok...you thought me riding a dirtbike was cool?? You being a black belt in Karate is WAAAAAAYYYY cooler! The "Friends" clip was hilarious, I never saw that one. I'm sure you don't look like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least they didn't lose the way the brewers did last night - OUCH!

    (And to embed the video, look for the embed code to the right of the frame on Youtube and copy it. Back in Blogger, click to view the HTML code and paste the code where you want it. It may not show up when you click back over into the pretty view before you publish, but it'll be there once you publish the post to your site!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hank Errand is an awesome nickname!, but since I think I was one of the Slugger aficianados, I'm glad you picked it.

    Honey, if I can run 3 miles, you can do it. Is there a time limit?

    ReplyDelete
  10. HIlarious!
    I'd never seen that episode.
    Good for you for putting on the shoes and getting out there. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was hoping someone would suggest "slugger"! I love it!

    And careful with yer knees, Louise! I can only "run" on a treadmill, under perfectly controlled conditions. You rock for running "wild"
    * ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Slugger is great!
    And I highly doubt you look like Phoebe, although it did give me a chuckle. I hate running, but then the only physical exercise I enjoy is biking, badminton and sex. . .

    But you ROCK for running and prepping for your BLACK BELT--can you believe it? YOU GO GIRL!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cold ball games; I remember those!

    Lots of success on your training, leading to the Black belt.

    Have you ever read any of Larry McMurtry?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so impressed with your black and running and all! And I especially love that you used the word "Luddite" in this post. One of my favorite words!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You go!

    I'm humming "Chariots of Fire" for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so impressive that you're on your way to a black belt--what an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If God had intended for you to run, he would have put an angry bear behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I run in my dreams!

    GO GG!
    You inspire me. Last night I had a long talk with a teacher about getting back into KungFu/TaiChi/Kickboxing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh that is so cool and the clip was funny too.

    I'm supposed to be training for a run - note the "s" word there. I haven't been doing what I should - opps another "s" word.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We've got a weekend of craziness ahead of us - countless birthday parties and parties and school events and and and all leading up to the last day of school next Wednesday. It's a crazy rush, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one running around like a mad woman :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will partake in all manner of exercise - but running? BLECH!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH MY GOSH! I love the Phoebe fun run. Makes you feel like a kid again. Except for the black eyes I get now...I'm a little more endowed than I was at 10.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  23. P.S. I copy , paste, then preview. That converts the HTML code to video when you head back to compose mode.
    I've got see the video before I post it.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.