Tuesday, May 19, 2009

selfish pig

I've mentioned that Mr. B and Mr. G are taking ungodly expensive swimming lessons until early June. The clientele at this swim school is a mixed bag during the week--a few nannies, a few grandmas and a few Well-Turned-Out SAHMs (think Ladies Who Lunch) round out the mix. Following their lessons a few weeks ago a younger woman rushed in with 2 little girls in tow and a baby in a carrier. She caught my attention because she was dressed like a teenager, carrying an Ulta bag and dropped the carrier to attend to the cell phone she was talking on. Her car keys went flying in another direction while the younger girl was shoved in the direction of the pool entrance sans towel.

I've been there, so I wasn't going to judge her as some young mother with screwed up material priorities who has no business breeding (cell phone conversation, dropped children and shopping bag aside). She could've been having a bad day. I picked up the baby's nook and the car keys and handed them to her while she turned around and headed back OUT of the building, leaving behind baby in carrier and other daughter. Without so much as a "thank you." Hm.

Today? Confirmed my first impression of Material Girl NOT being Maternal Girl. Again they bustled in late for their lesson, she wore a t-shirt from a local bar's volleyball team and too-tight yoga pants. As usual, she had her cell phone glued to her ear and shoulder. The oldest child? Sported a face mask tied around her neck but NOT around her face. She was coughing to beat the band. The mother? Shoved middle child in the direction of the pool entrance sans towel and dumped her Ulta bag next to the baby carrier. Then she said to the older daughter, "I hope you're coughing into your mask."

Ummm, if your kid is so sick that she's coughing into a mask from the doctor's office and I've been hearing all week on NPR that Wisconsin has the second highest number of confirmed Swine Flu cases nationally (a Shout Out to Illinois who ranks first), I'm thinking you are a self-absorbed sow. Get your brood the FREAK out of a swim school crawling with little kids and stay the *$^#%**@ home with your sick kid!

Thank God we were on our way OUT of the building. Still, my throat feels itchy now and I'm sure I'll obsess over it all day.

22 comments:

  1. That makes me so sad. I know how it feels to be a harried mother but this takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, please, PLEASE tell me you called her on it!

    I try to be a polite person, but when I see nonsense like that, I snap and have some very biting words to share with errant parent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh..."thanks for sharing", huh. I hate it when sick people insist on coming out!!
    * >: (

    ReplyDelete
  4. She will no doubt wonder, several years from now, just HOW her children have grown up so selfish and thoughtless. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo-hoo!! We're number one! We're number one!

    But seriously, I feel bad for the kids, they're always the ones who lose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, oh my! Maybe she was on the phone with the Mayo Clinic double-checking her child's hepatitis results. :-) Eeeek.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ugh...that's all I have to say about that...otherwise my comment will turn into a sub-post on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That poor child. She should be at home being taken care of. It makes me sad.

    Here on the homestead, despite beautiful weather, I am under it - and your shout-out is received loud and clear! I'm an Illinoisan.

    Maybe they'll change the name of our state to Ill-nois.

    (Better wash your hands after you read this comment! Or eyeballs, or whatever.)

    - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. And you wonder why you need a license to drive but not parent?

    Disinfect everything.
    And please tell us when you choose your nickname for the new Lefty, or Righty or Bat Boy or whomever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swimming lessons with a cough??? Surely that's against the pool rules?

    Those first impressions...

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you so much for confirming that i am not the lamest parent in the world (as i was previously feeling)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awful. Awful for the kids and for others who may get sick.
    As for h1n1, I did hear that we Wisconsinites have a stronger testing process and that may account for some of the higher numbers. I sincerely hope that's the main reason we're #2!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm impressed that you would wear your swimsuit on purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm surprised the swimming instructor didn't send them out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh boy! Makes you wonder if there is anyone home there, in between the ears...? I'll bet riding in HER car is a bundle of fun...!???

    Still hope to see an image of your boots in a dandelion patch......> pretty please...?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The child was so sick she was wearing a mask? Yes, please feel free to judge that mother.

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know I would.

    I think I might have said something to whoever runs the school--that's unbelievable that she'd bring a sick kid to swim lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  18. BTW love the crocus popping up

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oink. I went out this morning without waiting the full 24 hours for my antibiotics to kick in, and I am cringing with conviction over my hypocrisy after reading your post because sick people spreading their cooties is one of my hot-button, soap-box issues. Again with the oinking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not cool, at all.

    The swim instructors should have said something to her, at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am trying to figure out who she could be speaking to on the phone. Must be muy importante or she is just a self absorbed cow who feels the constant need to interact with "friends" and complain about how busy her life is, which would be much less hectic if she would remove her face from the phone.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.