Friday, May 8, 2009

this will give you goosebumps

Yesterday the pool guy got the filter pump operating, officially "opening the pool" for the season. My sons have been badgering me to go swimming for two weeks now. (Yes, they know we live in Wisconsin, but they feel that it's summer the instant the last of the snow melts.) I told them they had to let the filter run for at least 12 hours before I'd let them swim. Nevermind that the water is 57 degrees. Nevermind that there are leaves and dead worms and scum all over the pool. At 8:30 this morning they were ready and raring to go. (Think I'm kidding? Look how long Mr. D's shadow is in this picture--and see how most of the leaves still haven't opened on the trees beyond--I took this picture an hour ago.)

I am not making this up. They kept going back in.


After 15 minutes they'd had enough. For now.


One of my favorite bloggers, Suburban Correspondent over at The More, The Messier has started a grand tradition of showcasing her fridge every week when she cleans it out. Her fridge is legendary in the blogosphere--as is her courage to lay the contents of her fridge out for all to see and discuss (I still wonder what makes her save old oatmeal for later). Her fridge is so reknown that last summer when my neighbor and I were discussing blogs we read, she described "This woman with like 6 kids who is so funny." Either the blogosphere is a small place or Suburban Correspondent is just that cool. (She's just that cool.)

Anyway, since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I give you a photo documentary of The Momvan, cleaned out weekly as a public service to my family:

The back of the Momvan has a gigantic wagon left over from hauling 90 Boy Scout geraniums into Mr. D's office for delivery last night. Also, 2 duffel bags with sparring gear, jumper cables, 2 blankets, bungee cords, tire gauge, flower flats and Reese's Peanut Butter Cup wrapper.


Much geranium dirt, a baseball glove, whiffle ball, nunchuckas, thank you note from a teacher, first aid kit and some of Mr. G's artwork.Aaaaaaand--a baseball bat. I'm driving a gym locker on wheels. With enough potting soil to fill one of my potager beds.

22 comments:

  1. That's a Mom-Of-Boys Van. If you had girls, there would be ballet bags, hair scrunchies, minnie mouse sippy cups and lots of other pink and purple stuff.

    There's an award for you on my blog. Happy Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting collection of stuff!
    Love that the boys went swimming - once upon a time I'd have thought that was swimming weather, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has to be absolutely frigid. Our first swim of the season was on a 90 degree day but still the water was too cold for me to do more than stick a toe in. Of course, Linus refused to get out despite the fact that he was turning blue. Boys will be boys I guess.

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blogosphere seems to be an incredibly small place, methinks! I've often pondered a van clean-out feature, but I'm too lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you were in my car- except you were missing two sets of catcher's gear, 4 blankets for cold games and misc. jackets and sweatshirts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your boys definitely swam on a much colder day than my girls...as soon as we had an 80 degree day they wanted to go in. The water was still freezing though...so they only lasted about 15 minutes too. We had our first 100 degree day yesterday, so back in the pool they went!

    And my Mom-Expedition has a stroller, a bag of sweaters from the last offroad event we went to in case it got cold (it didn't), a handful of goldfish that the baby dropped on the floor, a few hair rubberbands, some board books, and random school papers. Thanks for the topic idea for a future blog...now just to take the pictures. :)

    Oh, and I forgot to comment on your post where you talked about your hair. It must be a spring thing, because I also cut my hair with lots of layers, and I know a bunch of moms that have recently gone shorter with their hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great moment for the boys: the day the pool opens! Kids just have a mighty internal furnace that the rest of us lack!

    One Reese's wrapper? I'm impressed... so much more evidence of 'meals on wheels' in my car. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brrrrrr....

    The nunchuckas crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can understand. I love to swim and will brave some pretty cold water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1) I was JUST like your boys when I was younger. Just had to swim as soon as the water was ice free!
    2) I cleaned my "Mom-zer" (Blazer) last weekend and found an entire grocery bag full of stray mittens, socks, hats and two pairs of pants. I have no idea how long they were in there, if they were clean or dirty, or whether or not the previous wearers had OTHER pants on when they exited the vehicle. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine is all shopping bags, stadium chair, big blanket and big hat. Plus a case of water.

    Only kids could swim in that cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine looks like a rolling hardware tool section, with all the tools I use for my day work and volunteer work on people's homes...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brrr!
    I'm still shivering!
    My van matches yours! How about that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Momvan has a large pot with pine trees (needs to be delivered to my classroom at school), and last night was full of daughter's laundry and suitcase as she came home from college for the weekend to pack for her trip abroad in two weeks. Oh, wait, and a rabbit. We had the rabbit in the van, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i adore you for coming out of the closet on the state of your automobile. mine's worse, so i'm staying in the closet a little longer. but still...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your van actually isn't that bad. Maybe I should up our van cleanout to once a week. Right now, it's not on the schedule. It just gets really bad and then I have a meltdown at the gas station vacuum place, cursing all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are no words for how much better you've just made me feel about my own life (and mini-van). Not that mine is better; it just has companionship now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brrrr! That pool LOOKS icy. We cleaned my car out yesterday, and the basket of stuff we took out is dreadful. It's sitting on the floor next to me saying "tidy me!" Paper, hiking boots (why do we have to take them out if we're just going to have to pack them back in again, Mum?), water bottles, socks, taekwondo belts, bank machine tickets, plastic bags, flip-flops, football gloves, pencils, pens, books (the kids don't get carsick reading in the car), off, sunblock, rubik's cube instructions, batteries new and old, a torchlight, an empty drawstring bag, two old cellphones that don't work, assorted ziploc bags, a camera card, melted crayons, a watch, animal cards cut out from a magazine, napkins, stamps... I think that's about it! Oh look, a ruler.

    Maybe we should do a weekly what's in the car post. With pictures. But OH! my car is so clean today. It's positively beautiful! Long may it last! Of course, we ARE going hiking in the mud this week.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My body temperature just dropped 20 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad I'm not participating the blog your dirty car/clean fridge thing. (But I MIGHT win.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Listen honey. I have one 17 year old and there's NO WAY I'd show you the inside of my car.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Any mom worth her salt ought to be able to find a kid LUNCH under the seats of their van/car/truck. I'm just sayin' ;)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.