Sunday, June 28, 2009

10 things i've done of late

It's been wicked busy this past week--so I'll boil this post down to 10 (or so) highlights:
Yes, yes we have picked some strawberries. No, we have not made jam.

That is me, taking my best shot on the archery range at Mom/Son Boy Scout camp. Yes, I am a horrible shot. Yes, it was fun.

Mr. T and I went in a row boat and met this "little" guy.
We both tried crossing the monkey bridge. My time was better. Neither of us fell off.
Mr. T enjoyed fishing. He also liked sleeping in a tent without showers or flush toilets. I? I did not. I also did not enjoy the tick crawling on the back of my neck. Even now I feel a little itchy remembering it.
But we bonded, and that's what was Mostly Important about the weekend.

And back to Utah! Of course I indulged in some of this.
I have mentioned to my husband that since I've been home, no one has offered me cheese or opened a bottle of wine at dinner. I was getting used to those things. Nina is an amazing cook. I don't like to cook, so since coming home we've had some chicken on the grill. I made potato salad and a mandarin salad. Today I scrambled some eggs and made great toast for lunch. It felt like so much work.
See that mountain? It's in Utah--I hiked up it on a trail. Absolutely lovely. I counted over 20 kinds of wildflowers and could I.D. about 2/3 of them. I never knew Utah's landscape was so diverse. And I could tell we were near the desert, but these mountains were lush.

I took many photos like this one, but to post them all would bore you.
The bathroom I used in Utah had a bidet!
And 5 manuscripts were thoroughly edited, hashed over, fixed up and made amazing. That was hands down the best part of June--all that hard work for my 4 writing pals and receiving their efforts on my behalf.

Life? Is very good.

22 comments:

  1. Wow! You've been busy!
    Send some strawberries my way, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back. I'm glad it was a good week.

    Boy Scout camp? Better you than me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your back. My morning coffee doesn't taste quite as good without your chatter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took an archery class in high school - now I'm remembering how fun it was.

    You have been busy! What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like so much fun! I would most certainly embarrass my son with my lack of coordination and outdoor skills, but I would love to go to camp with him!
    Your Pal,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of it sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busy, busy, busy!
    But it all sounds wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... you have been busy. My favorite part of your writing photo? Everyone in their socks.

    I know what you mean about hiking plant photos. My husband and I took our honeymoon in the Canadian Rockies, and there are at least 7 rolls of photos of mountain peaks and plants. (Rolls? Wow, that *was* back in the day.)

    Polygamy porter is hilarious. This weekend we had a huge BBQ and enjoyed Goose Island Oatmeal Stout, Fat Tire Amber, and Red Stripe, among others... It was a quirky collection, but Buzz-erific.

    And finally... you're back in Wisconsin and no one is offering you cheese?? Sounds like sacrilege to me.

    Enjoy being home. :D
    - Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Home! Great pictures! Wow - how come they don't invite the mom's to do Girl Scout camp? Maybe I didn't pick the right one. hehe There were like 500 camps to choose from!

    Your Utah trip sounds like it was great!

    But I have to admit - the tidbits that caught my eye the most were about the food - strawberries, cheese, mandarin salad. I'm not pregnant or anything. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool. Cool cool cool.

    Looks like you've had a LOT of fun inside all of that busy-ness.

    (And does EVERY Wisconsin Mom have a Blue Bunny ice cream pail she's re-conditioned for other use? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't know what to do with a bidet.

    Green with jealousy over the stawberries. The most we are picking is mosquitoes off our arms and legs. Well, swatting those too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't know what to do with a bidet.

    Green with jealousy over the stawberries. The most we are picking is mosquitoes off our arms and legs. Well, swatting those too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two very neat trips you had! COOL! The Utah trip looks like it was really beautiful; I love the mountains and miss them!

    Good for you for going camping with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Monkey Bridge (We called it Burma Bridge at Camp Uni) is one of my favorites. I love how the kids build it from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Archery is seriously a tough sport. I'm in awe.

    And Wow, five manuscripts? Your writer's workshop sounds like it was completely exhilarating and exhausting and so rewarding all at once!

    PS. Nice bidet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's so much in that last photo--the faces, the postures, the light. Wow.

    I'm so glad for you that you had such a trip. Also, with the archery thing, I'm glad you didn't snag a Boy Scout.

    Keeping savoring everything.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Busy Girl! Wow, that was a lot of fun in one post. Minus the tick and the lack of flush toilets, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a week! Sounds like fun... perhaps Mr. D could look for next year's version of Slugger to be an accomplished cook?

    ReplyDelete
  19. You wanna keep your elbow up...your wrist parallel to the ground...
    * ; )
    that bidet! *heehee!*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Life does sound good :)

    I'll totally take some jam...

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.